can somebody clarify what semester hours means?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

equityrange

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I go to a university in the US that goes by semesters. If I need 4semester hours of math, does that mean one 4unit math class? The math class i took was 3hours lecture and 1hour discussion for 4units. does that count? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think you are okay. I think a requirement of 4 semester hours just implies 4 credit hours for a school that is on a semester system. Lots of calc classes for ex are 4 hours, but I have never heard of a math course being divided into a 3+1 manner. It wouldn't hurt to e-mail schools you are interested in just to double check though. Better safe than sorry right?

The school I went to had discussions "courses" that were signed up in addition to the lecture course. Lecture would meet for 3 hours a week (either 1.5 hours TuTh or 1 hour MWF) and there might be 10 discussion "courses" meeting at different times throughout the week. You only had to sign up for one discussion "course" and attendance depended on the course (e.g. quizzes in physics was done in discussion). However the lecture course was always the course that was assigned units while the separate discussion "course" was assigned 0 units.