Can somebody please help!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deeps02

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,
I am doing my residency in IM in Indiana and want to change to CA, that is where my hubby lives, there has been a lot of travelling which either of us are not able to handle. Is there any way I could get a transfer to CA or do I have to lose an year and start off all over by applying again??? Even if I do want to leave my present pgm, how do I inform the authorities?????
Hope to get some advice.........
Thanx a lot in anticipation.

Members don't see this ad.

Switching residencies depends on job availability. There are sources which list open residency positions and your present PD may also have such information. Having the support of your PD is important, as any program you switch into will require an LOR from your PD and/or Department Chair.

There are some open residency positions listed on the AMA web site; these are usually PGY2 and greater positions. There exists no centralized process as far as I know for obtaining these positions although programs may offer an opening through the Match should they not fill it before.

Best to talk with your PD, explain the situation (which he/she probably already knows about), contact programs in CA which would fit your needs and see if any openings exist.

Good luck to you.

Thanx a lot for your response doc! I appreciate it.
Thanks again!