Can someone check my NYC intinerary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tropicana100

Pure Juice
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So NYC travel is confusing, but this is what I have in mind. In January, I have Cornell on a Tues, Mount Sinai on a Thur. Can someone look at my itinerary, so I can book my plane ticket/hotel package:

Fly to LaGuardia on Monday, take airport shuttle service to a hotel Upper East Side (410 EAST 92ND STREET New York, NY 10128 - it's kinda between both schools). On Tuesday, take cab to Cornell. After interview, take cab back to hotel and have fun in NYC on Wednesday. On Thursday, take cab to Mount Sinai. After interview, take cab to shuttle service, shuttle back to LaGuardia.

It'll my first time traveling alone in NYC, so help is appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

you really don't need to take a cab everywhere, go to hopstop.com and you can get directions using the bus and subway

you really don't need to take a cab everywhere, go to hopstop.com and you can get directions using the bus and subway

cool. thanks! you have any ideas about shuttle services I can contact?

Members don't see this ad :)
Take the subway! It's much cheaper than taking taxis all day and maybe a little faster. You can look at the subway map and plan your day the night before: http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm

Besides, you have to experience a NYC subway.

So NYC travel is confusing, but this is what I have in mind. In January, I have Cornell on a Tues, Mount Sinai on a Thur. Can someone look at my itinerary, so I can book my plane ticket/hotel package:

Fly to LaGuardia on Monday, take airport shuttle service to a hotel Upper East Side (410 EAST 92ND STREET New York, NY 10128 - it's kinda between both schools). On Tuesday, take cab to Cornell. After interview, take cab back to hotel and have fun in NYC on Wednesday. On Thursday, take cab to Mount Sinai. After interview, take cab to shuttle service, shuttle back to LaGuardia.

It'll my first time traveling alone in NYC, so help is appreciated. Thanks!

and when you're at mt.sinai, will you just happen to mention that your buddy cruz is dying for an interview? haha k thanks!:p:D:cool:

Here's my two sense, for what it's worth. I lived in Brooklyn for 8 months and got used to moving around Manhattan without a problem. I think you should invest in the taxi to take you to your hotel. It's easier than a shuttle service. Then, when you are at your hotel, you will probably be able to walk to either school (a nice, healthy walk...not by any means a quick jaunt), or you can take the subway. Ask the person at the hotel as they will probably be able to help you the most. You can go to the NYC transit authority webpage and get a subway map. If you have a hard time interpreting it, ask the person at the hotel. It's probably just as fast and a LOT cheaper to take a subway than to take a cab. Especially in that area of NY, if you take a cab, you are likely to get caught in traffic. You'll see when you go that it is SO easy to walk almost everywhere. Like I said, I lived in Brooklyn, but I was known to walk across the Brookyln Bridge and all around the Village and back. It's so beautiful and full of people that the walk is totally worth it.

Seriously... don't take a cab everywhere. I would take a cab to your hotel (just be prepared to pay in cash... I went to midtown and my fare was $26, so it'll be a little more than that for the Upper East side). If the actual hotel has free shuttle service, you can probably do that too. LaGuardia is absolutely crazy, though.

Then find a subway stop that has a Metrocard vending machine (not all of them do). Depending on how much exploring you're actually going to do, you can get an unlimited 7-day pass for $24, I believe. With it, you can ride on any subway or local bus (not any express buses) for 7 days. A subway ride costs $2, and you get free transfers for up to 2 hours after you swipe your card.

Subway maps are pretty easy to find, but bus maps are a little more difficult, so if you have to take a bus to your interviews, you should definitely find out which bus you need to take before you leave.

Depending on how much time you have to get to the airport before your plane leaves, you can take the subway/bus out there. I took the 7 to Main St, then walked across the street to catch the Q48 bus all the way to LaGuardia. However, Main St. was a little scary, because half of the signs were in Chinese, I think. I know the M60 also goes to the airport, but I don't know where the stops for that are.

Best of luck!

The M60 stops on 125th street and almost every other block. A ton of people will be waiting for it, so you can ask. On its way to LGA it has a little airplane on the front. It gets pretty crowded, but it's cheap and fairly quick and not far from your hotel. I used to take it all the time from Morningside Heights into Astoria, Queens and it was fairly painless, about a half hour ride.

Good luck! NYC is a very navigable city, so you'll be fine!

the 86 bus goes from 92nd and york to the subway stop at 86th and lex. you don't need this to get to cornell (u could prob take a bus straight down) but it will help you get to the subway quicker if you are going to move around nyc and enjoy. the 4 & 5 are express and go down the east side and the 6 is local down the east side. like others said look at the subway and bus map.