Can Someone Clear This Up For Me Re: ACGME/AOA Merger

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docycle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm in the class of 2020, which I assume means I will apply to residency in late 2019. Does this mean that I will miss the merger and therefore, as a DO, have to decide between the AOA match and the ACGME match?

Members don't see this ad.

By then I would be extremely surprised if there was an AOA match.

By then I would be extremely surprised if there was an AOA match.

From my understanding, for the class of 2020, the AOA match will not exist.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Even if it does exist, there will likely be so few programs remaining that it will not be worth it to apply AOA unless you're a bottom of the barrel applicant. Either way, I'd plan to apply only ACGME if I were you.

Reactions: 1 user
As stated above, any AOA programs still hanging on (unable to meet ACGME standards) is a red flag and unless you have multiple failures you should avoid altogether.

What everyone else said.

There MIGHT be a few programs that get accreditation and maintain some spots in the AOA Match in addition to having some in the ACGME
Match. This was a pretty common move this past cycle for programs that just got their ACGME accreditation, including the program I'm headed to. That said, 2020 is a long time from 2018 the way this is progressing; while some spots on the AOA side might still be available, I definitely wouldn't rely on that being the case and put all your eggs in that basket.

Last edited:
Majority of programs have or will have transitioned to ACGME.

Which means your butt better take the USMLE despite what our mentally inefficient know-it-all advisors say to save face.

Screw COCA. Screw the NBOME. Screw the COMLEX and everything it stands for. Stupid ask (you know what I mean) exam with no frickin' clinical relevance at all besides for our schools to rob more money off of us.

Which means your butt better take the USMLE despite what our mentally inefficient know-it-all advisors say to save face.

Screw COCA. Screw the NBOME. Screw the COMLEX and everything it stands for. Stupid ask (you know what I mean) exam with no frickin' clinical relevance at all besides for our schools to rob more money off of us.

Wha? You mean I'm not gonna use Right on Right sacral torsion muscle energy while pt is septic and vitals are crashing in the ICU? :eek:

But no seriously, thanks guys. Will be sure to take USMLE, then. I just wasn't sure if we'd still have plenty of AOA progs by then.

Reactions: 3 users
I thought class of 2019 will have the last AOA match? Even if you're applying in 2019, the match takes place in 2020. I wouldn't count on AOA being around.

There was a Reddit AMA with a cardio thoracic surgeon not too long ago from New York - someone described diaphragm redoming to him and asked about the likelihood of a procedure like that working. His reply was something like this, “That’s not how the diaphragm works.” I actually laughed out loud when I read that.

Reactions: 6 users
Wha? You mean I'm not gonna use Right on Right sacral torsion muscle energy while pt is septic and vitals are crashing in the ICU? :eek:

But no seriously, thanks guys. Will be sure to take USMLE, then. I just wasn't sure if we'd still have plenty of AOA progs by then.

IF I ever hear you bringing up this type of bull again in the real worl, I will personally make it my life's mission to find out where you are practicing and lumbar roll you....

repeatedly....

and pedal pump you on top of that.

And you will like it.

There was a Reddit AMA with a cardio thoracic surgeon not too long ago from New York - someone described diaphragm redoming to him and asked about the likelihood of a procedure like that working. His reply was something like this, “That’s not how the diaphragm works.” I actually laughed out loud when I read that.
How can I trust someone who can't even palpate a CRI to know how the diaphragm works? Do I ask McDonalds clerks how to run a fortune 500 company? Clearly the surgeon was out of his element and trying to save face. :p

Reactions: 1 users