can someone define the lingo for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fungi121

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically, I'm a second year that just finished preclinical and before I go on the wards I want to know what the lingo I keep hearing means/entails. Can someone help me out? Ie, Pre rounding? Rounding? Being on call?
Duty hours? etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Pre rounding is done before rounding with the team. During this time you look up things about your patient ie 24 hour events, talk to patients/parents, take/review vitals, do your physical, review labs and create an assessment and plan for your patient. During rounding you go around to patients rooms with your whole team and present the patients to your attending and repeat any physical deemed necessary and fill the patient in for what will happen to them during the day and any progress/problems that are ongoing.

Reactions: 1 users
Pre rounding is done before rounding with the team. During this time you look up things about your patient ie 24 hour events, talk to patients/parents, take/review vitals, do your physical, review labs and create an assessment and plan for your patient. During rounding you go around to patients rooms with your whole team and present the patients to your attending and repeat any physical deemed necessary and fill the patient in for what will happen to them during the day and any progress/problems that are ongoing.

To add to that, on some services you will be asked to pre-round. On others, you will be expected to pre-round. Ask the residents on the first day, but assume you'll be pre-rounding on all your inpatient services. No such thing in outpatient.

Call varies by hospital and service. If there are residents, you will most likely be taking call with them, which usually requires staying overnight. If there are no residents, then the attendings take call from home and you will too. If you get paged or called overnight, you will go into the hospital.

Duty hours don't pertain to students unless your school has established a rule for you guys. National duty hours regulate how many hours a resident can work. The current hours are limited to 80 hours a week averaged over four weeks. Interns can work no more than 16 hours at a time. They're required to take 8 hours off between shifts (it's recommended they get 10 hours). Like I said, none of this applies to students. We work when they tell us to.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Keep in mind that your school might have a different 'call' schedule for the students than the residents. The residents might be expected to stay overnight, for instance, while you may only be expected to stay until 8 or 10 pm. They should tell you what is expected of you on the first day of the rotation. If they don't, you should ask.

Reactions: 2 users
Basically, I'm a second year that just finished preclinical and before I go on the wards I want to know what the lingo I keep hearing means/entails. Can someone help me out? Ie, Pre rounding? Rounding? Being on call?
Duty hours? etc.
Try Google and First Aid for the Wards.

Keep in mind that your school might have a different 'call' schedule for the students than the residents. The residents might be expected to stay overnight, for instance, while you may only be expected to stay until 8 or 10 pm. They should tell you what is expected of you on the first day of the rotation. If they don't, you should ask.
Nice to see medical schools are sheltering med students from what it's really like. 8 to 10 pm? smh.