• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Can someone explain a "strong" GPA trend?

modernfam

2+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2017
  1. Pre-Medical
Hey everyone,
I hope you all are safe during these tough times. This may be a bit annoying as I'm sure you have heard the same questions again, but I am curious as to how a slight upwards gpa trend looks for dental school? So to further explain, I started my college credits in high school at a local CC. I transferred to a university which was realistically my freshman year and I struggled settling in which resulted in me getting a C in Orgo I and Physics I, but I was able to get an A and B in the following courses (I still kick myself for it because it really made me feel hopeless at one point). For my 1st year at a university, I had a mix of A's and B's, but my gpa has kind of fluctuated. I guess I'm mostly worried because when I hear of stories of people who have had a strong GPA trend, they usually have a lot of A's in their science class while I had a lot more B's in my science courses, anyone else in the same boat? Anyway, I've been more hopeful recently since its my senior year and I had a 3.76 this semester. I am graduating Fall of 2020 and the goal is to definitely work towards solid A's. I was wondering if this would be questionable as I didn't directly get straight A's during my junior and senior year. Listed below were my overall GPA's for each year. Is there still hope for me? I don't want to do a post-bacc or master's since I want to save up for dental school and I thought a 3.5 would be okay as long as everything else on my application was solid. (also planning to take a gap year for the DAT, work and dental experience)

Freshman: 3.3 (CC)
Sophomore: 3.59 (CC)
Junior: 3.49
Senior: (so far): 3.51 (still have another semester to go!!)

TheDentalSchoolCoach

Vendor
Apr 20, 2019
  1. Dental Student
Usually a strong GPA trend would like this:

Freshman - 2.7 to 3.2 ish
Sophomore - 3.5 +
Junior 3.7+
Senior 3.7 - 3.8+

So you have an upward trend between freshman to sophomore year; but your GPA stagnated (or went down).

That said, Your overall is ~3.5 - so you are fine. I don't think you need to do a PostBacc or Masters. Just makes sure you have a stellar DAT score and personal statement/Secondary etc.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.