Can someone explain their passion/likes/dislikes/concerns for Dental School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baylorgirl1997

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My father and my uncle both went to Dental school and have instructed me on how hard dental school is and certain aspects of it. However, I don't feel like I really know what it's like besides going to class, studying, and that's it. I would just like to know more about it. Where do you find your drive and excitement to go to dental school and be a dentist? I ask this because there is a big part of me that wants to go to dental school but I am trying to seek out the best option and figure out how things have changed since my Dad and Uncle went to school. I don't need tips about my GPA and DAT score, I understand the importance and difficulty, I'm just looking for the other areas of focus regarding it.

Members don't see this ad.

Time management is the key. You will find spare time to relax and focus on things elsewhere from studying if you manage your time well.

Regrettably, dental education has not changed dramatically. The two great advances have been the SIM lab and the use of digital texts and podcasts. Dental decks for board review are also something that was not around 30 years ago. What makes dental school so difficult, IMHO is the combination of advanced basic science coupled with learning a new language....dentistry, and all of the nuances which go along with each tooth (dental anatomy).
Add dental materials, and it can be overwhelming the first year. No one is born carving wax or drilling tiny specifically shaped holes in teeth. Mastering the hand eye coordination is a challenge. Since dentistry is largely procedure based, the four years (3 U of P ) is spent learning each procedure, and then putting them all together. Not a small task.

Reactions: 1 users