Can someone familiar with Florida residency help me out? Thanks!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ryan17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

So I'm currently a TX resident but my parents have decided to move themselves and my sister to Florida next summer, in July 2015. I would like to be near them and apply as a Florida in-state resident if possible.

So if I move to Florida with them in July 2015, and apply to med school in June 2016, would it be possible to do so as an in-state applicant? If not, I guess its not the worst thing in the world since TX is a solid state for in-staters.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

So I'm currently a TX resident but my parents have decided to move themselves and my sister to Florida next summer, in July 2015. I would like to be near them and apply as a Florida in-state resident if possible.

So if I move to Florida with them in July 2015, and apply to med school in June 2016, would it be possible to do so as an in-state applicant? If not, I guess its not the worst thing in the world since TX is a solid state for in-staters.

Thanks!!

I think it has to be the October before you matriculate medical school so you should be good. You could give a quick call to a Florida school to be sure and find out what they would need as proof of residency. I think I had to give them a copy of my driver's license and voter registration to qualify so I would get those done as soon as you get to Florida.

Thanks for the reply. So you think as long as I get there before October 2016 (plan to matriculate Fall 2017) I should be okay? And does that mean the driver's license and registration has to be in my name before October 2016?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply. So you think as long as I get there before October 2016 (plan to matriculate Fall 2017) I should be okay? And does that mean the driver's license and registration has to be in my name before October 2016?

I would get the license and registration done as soon as you move. You have to provide them with the secondary to prove your residency for some schools (I had to do it for USF and University of Florida, I think). I believe October was the date, but I might be confusing it with something else. I think technically it has be a year before you matriculate. But October is the end of the fiscal year for government. Like I said, give one of the Florida schools a call and they will be able to give you a definitive answer and date.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok, will do. So it sounds like establishing FL residency is pretty easy is the bottom line?

I'm pretty sure that it takes a calendar year to establish residency for tuition purposes. So you will want to get a new drivers license immediately, and I think something like getting a job is usually necessary as well.

bear in mind that if you are a dependent, you will need to provide driver's license and vehicle registration number of your parents; and if you are accepted and wish to matriculate to a FL school, you will also have to provide proof that your parents claimed you as a dependent (at least for UF, can't tell about other places). Residency should be established a year before the school starts (so say school starts August 1st, 2016 so you/your parents if you are dependent should have started living in FL on August, 1st, 2015 or earlier).
Again, as @xffan624 said, your best bet is to just call every school that interests you and ask what their policy regarding residency classification is. Good luck!

If I remember correctly, to prove your state residency you must submit copies of your FL driver's license, FL car registration and/or a FL voter registration card. All of these have to be at least a year old. Best to check with one of the schools just in case. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the replies guys, just wanted to bump the thread to ask, does providing government issued proof have anything to do with favorable admission? In other words, does it have anything to do with a Florida MD school that takes 90% of applicants from in-state seeing me as in-state for purposes of admission (so I'm not asking about for tuition purposes). Thanks!

I don't understand the difference between being an in-state for the admission purposes vs. for tuition purposes. You will definitely be considered an in-state just make sure you and your parents get FL ID's ASAP (and it has to be 2 different documents).

Here's a quote from a FL med school,

"To receive initial consideration as a Florida resident, applicants must declare Florida as their state of residence on their AMCAS application. There can be no exceptions to this rule. Accepted Florida applicants will be required to submit a complete set of residency documents prior to enrollment. "

BTW it seems we will be in the same application cycle :hardy:

Oh I see. So basically you declare FL on AMCAS, and the FL medical schools go by that and then you prove your residency once accepted? Does anyone know if employment is also a requirement like it is in Texas? (I can't claim parental dependency on taxes either since I'll be 27)