Can someone get me motivated now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreambig2night

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took my MCAT in August(again) and did poorly.
I am all the more pumped up to do better in April. I hate lying practise tests!!!!!
Yet, even though I plan on going full steam starting January, I want to start now.
Is there anyone studying hard for the MCAT now? Tell me or challenge me as to why, cause I want to study as well.

Furthermore, should I really go over material I already know? Ive gone over the KAPLAN material twice and now it bores me...
To a certain degree, Im actully stalling for my new prep materials(TPR) to come in January.
How do I challenge myself in the meantime?

Retakers opinions &/ suggestions would be more helpful in my case.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same situation buddy. I don't feel like studying science again only to study it again when time comes. But now is the best time to practice for verbal because it doesn't require studying it's all about practice. It's sort of like going to the gym -- the more you go the better-looking your physique becomes.

Think of it this way....for every extra 30 hrs of studying you put in you get an increase of 1 point...
First time I took the damned mcat I got a 24....then last august I buckled up, and studied 12 hrs / day and got a 30. This is what I did, first I went over all the material, then I repeated it again and did EK mini-mcats as I went over it. Third time around I did the 1001 questions and took full length practice exams every weekend (6 of them). More you study,easier it gets to go over the mateiral, I remember when I was going over the third time I knew 75% of the material cold, and it was a great feeling. I think that the last 3 weeks of studying were actually enjoyable because of that. So, think of it this way, you will have to get through the bad times no matter what, sooner you do that and have more time before the exam the better it is. So, do yourself a favor....start studying now so you dont have to retake it again, and you will feel great when the actual exam comes around!

Members don't see this ad :)
toxin said:
First time I took the damned mcat I got a 24....then last august I buckled up, and studied 12 hrs / day and got a 30. This is what I did, first I went over all the material, then I repeated it again and did EK mini-mcats as I went over it. Third time around I did the 1001 questions and took full length practice exams every weekend (6 of them). More you study,easier it gets to go over the mateiral, I remember when I was going over the third time I knew 75% of the material cold, and it was a great feeling.

Your story is an inspiration to many!

Hey I hope this may help you. I have set aside 6 months to really prepare for this test. For October I cleared my schedule, worked extra hours to keep money aside for the 2-3 months I may not work until April MCAT and stocked up on food for the winter months of studying. :spam:

For November, I have been cracking at doing one chapter a day from the PR and memorizing concepts and equations and really trying to solidify the content areas esp the ones I know I am weak in.

For December, I am doing all practice and review questions including the inclass exams from Exam Krackers.

And from Jan-April I am taking practice MCAT tests and studying off of the material or questions I got wrong. Even with the schedule I've made there is so much work to be done. I don't think one can ever really study EVERY single thing but just the thought of time running out scares me enough to buckle down even now. Yesterday I reviewed 4 chapters on G-Chem from the TPR and today Im trying to do the last 3 so I can move straight to Orgo and then finish Bio.

I am using TPR, Kaplan, Exam Krackers, Barrons/Aarco, and old textbooks and class notes, and of course saving the best for last AAMC. I guess my method is if I know I was weak in almost every area of the subjects, why waste a good AAMC. I want to make sure my content base is strong enough to kill the AAMC tests. If you think your content base is strong, then you can start reviewing/studying in Jan..but if you know in your heart that you need all the time you can get (a head start, my suggestion is to start now).

Studying is just like exercising (try it if you don't believe me)--the hardest part is starting---but once you start you can't wait to keep doing it every day. The first few weeks may be rough...you may even skip studying a day altogether..but its okay, the more you get into it, the more you will stick to it and by Jan, you will have a routine that you will need to maintain the momentum for April MCAT. If you wait too late, you may start panicking which may prevent you from giving it 100%.

My goal is to score atleast a 40 on the MCAT. If I aim high and study for a 40 then the lowest I can really get is a 34. If I strive for a 30, I may end up with a 24. Give yourself (+) (-) 4 points .

Good luck and let me know if you need more motivation :clap: