Can someone give me a definitive answer on why students obsessed with submitting at 9 am every year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tripl3crown

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
....we are almost certain it's going to crash. I know it is probably specialty specific but is there any real reason why everyone tries to submit at 9. I hear everything from your application is numbered to good ole' med student neurosis.

Members don't see this ad.

Haha. I don't know if I should be impressed or sadden by our colleagues having such punctuality.

Some people just want it to be done and over with, so the sooner the better.

It's complete insanity. There is no difference to applying at 9, or later today, or in the next few days.
Thank you. My letter writers have been having trouble submitting and I was panicking. It's literally the only thing I'm waiting for.

Is it because many programs typically wait until the MSPEs are uploaded?

Reactions: 1 user
It's because it doesn't matter. I already have >900 applications submitted. No way I'm looking at them all today, or this week for that matter. Whether it's complete today, or next week, doesn't matter much. Plus there were ERAS problems last year so it was hard to tell who submitted "late" and who was delayed by ERAS. And MSPE's don't come for 2 weeks anyway. Could other programs use this as a factor? I guess so, but it seems crazy to me.

One would think they would improve their infrastructure to avoid these problems...

It is funny to watch everyone freak out about not being able to submit. I sat back and watched, then uploaded my stuff with ease around noon lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you. My letter writers have been having trouble submitting and I was panicking. It's literally the only thing I'm waiting for.

I'm waiting on LOR's as well, to be processed. I think a lot of us are in the same boat.

Because interview invites went out today to fill slots starting three weeks from now.

It's because it doesn't matter. I already have >900 applications submitted. No way I'm looking at them all today, or this week for that matter. Whether it's complete today, or next week, doesn't matter much. Plus there were ERAS problems last year so it was hard to tell who submitted "late" and who was delayed by ERAS. And MSPE's don't come for 2 weeks anyway. Could other programs use this as a factor? I guess so, but it seems crazy to me.

For me, it's because many programs claim to hand out IV's on a first come first serve basis. If I'm further up on the list and the program director thinks I fit the bill then I would receive an IV as opposed to being further down the list and even tho i may be a good fit theres no IV spots left for me. That's assuming that PD review apps in a chronological order. Please correct me if I am wrong. Also, it's because i'm neurotic too, lol.

Eep, I submitted last night… how bad is that? On the 15th, I worked 'til 9pm-->accidentally fell asleep studying, then was on (super busy) call on the 16th. I have 2 invites already, so….hoping this means it's not the end of the world?