Can someone give me a intellegent answer cause I dont get it!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think that religion is great for those that have the ability to accept it. It is especially effective for those that can separate dogmatic/religious beliefs from interfering with their rational/scientific understanding of the world (Note: I'm not trying to draw a line between the two; people can use their rational faculties to justify their religious beliefs).

Personally, no matter how open minded I have been and am to the possibility of the supernatural, I just cannot bring myself to believe in anything supernatural. Furthermore, the more I read the Bible, Qur'an, and other religious texts, the more disgusting religion seems, especially in its dogmatism.

To some extent, we are genetically predisposed to certain capacities for belief. Arguments for atheism from Dawkins seem like weak irrational bull**** to Longshanks and ColeOnTheRoll. Arguments for theism sounds like weak irrational bull**** to the atheists. In most cases, people have already made up their minds (or have a strong predilection for a belief) and “debates” such as these just reinforce everyone's own points of view.
:thumbup: Agreed.
I think you make a good point, though I would like to say that I don't think atheism is "irrational bull****." I used to be an atheist. I just have a problem with Dawkins because I think his arguments have no real substance. That said, atheism is a legitimate system of belief, and I don't think atheists are inherently bad people.
Belief? In what science and proof? Why do so many people think atheism is some form of belief or religion?

Members don't see this ad.

once you guys actually become attending physicians, you'll see things that make you believe in a higher power, and things which make you question it's existence.

once you guys actually become attending physicians, you'll see things that make you believe in a higher power, and things which make you question it's existence.
Bull. I've been working in a hosptial for a while (attending or not) and seen some amazing and lifechanging things. They do not make be believe in a " higherpower" but rather everything worked out that day and sometimes just luck in our favor. If a man has been blind for years and could suddenly see, I wouldnt throw my hands in the air and scream " Jesus is real"!! I would suspect a reason we have not discovered yet. But if I could see a man walk on water, it rained frogs, water turned into blood(and tested to be sure), a talking burning bush or a sea split in two then I'm sold. I mean it happened all the time back then, why not now?

Members don't see this ad :)
The best way to answer someone who won't do anything to help themselves because they're "leaving it to God's hands" is to say that God helps those that help themselves. He's not going to just magically lower BP, He works through other people. You just have to gently remind them of this small fact.

The best way to answer someone who won't do anything to help themselves because they're "leaving it to God's hands" is to say that God helps those that help themselves. He's not going to just magically lower BP, He works through other people. You just have to gently remind them of this small fact.
:thumbup: Im gona start saying that line. That way I can offer advice while not offending their religion.

Regarding Ms. Koolaid Blood: for her the locus of control in her life is God. This is not uncommon. For others, the locus is themself and for others it is their doctor. For those who want to let God be in control, I think it might be helpful to engage the assistance of a chaplain or member of the clergy who might explain that "God has no hands but your hands." which is to say that patients must work in collaboration with God (take responsibility) to preserve their lives.

Speaking of life, although the "next life" is a goal in several faith traditions, there is also the belief that this life, that all life, is a gift from God and that this gift must be protected and preserved. It is sinful in some faith traditions to neglect one's health or fail to treat a treatable illness (to neglect one's health). Every day, every minute is a gift from God and if people want to praise God for life, (and one would hope, to thank God for your life and your work as a care provider), why should you care?

A physician from any faith tradition or with no faith at all can understand and use the internal logic of a patient's religious belief to motivate the patient to do the right thing and take responsibility for their health and life and to work toward preserving and protecting that life.

As for suing the doctor: even patients of deep religious faith can be the victims of negligence and medical malpractice. Should people of faith let the doctor off the hook?

Well said!

You can throw in the fact that their body is God's temple if they are of Christian belief.
Nah, then I'll sound like a mom. Alot of these people are coming in with all these health problems and leave their room to smoke, so their not going to buy that body of god crap.

Depending on how old the person is and the severity of the sickness, regardless of religion, the rational thing to do in some cases would be to let them go. The financial burden it places on families can be astronomical, with little improvement or lengthening of life. But, as some people mention death scares us, and fear makes us do irrational things.

I mean, I believe in a higher power (I'm Christian) but I'm not going to just eat bacon and sit on my ass all day and just be like "chill Doc, God has got my back". I know at the end of the day he will take care of me, but I have to take care of myself. That lady with the 800 BLS is just stupid and in denial

:thumbup: I especially love the bacon part :laugh:

Why do you even go to the doctor?

Why do you even go to the grocery store?

Why dont you plant your own trees and go to the zoo and hunt for animals with a bow and arrow?

Why dont you chop some twigs and construct your little shed on the street?

If you dont want treatment, there are others dying to get treatment.

Why dont you plant your own trees and go to the zoo and hunt for animals with a bow and arrow?

You lost me with these questions lol but I agree with the first and last one.

huh??????