Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

can someone have connections to get into dental school

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by tissy, Dec 9, 2005.

1. tissy

U.S. Public Health Service 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I've come across the third person in the last three months that say, "my relative who is a dental hyg. for a doctor who went to XYZ dental school said they have the hook up to get me in". So is it true that if you know someone who graduated from XYZ dental school can get you in the school. I always seem to come across people who say that they know someone who got into a school because of networking. True or what? :idea: :idea: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=17#
    smarty

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. sumozmom

sumozmom Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    well i believe this happens all the time!

this persom i know- is freinds with a teacher at this school that -is close to a perticular dean of influence at this other school and the candidates app was put aside.....

4. oldboy

oldboy Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

99% of the time it will only help you get your foot in the door at an uber competitive school. It may do more at a less competitive school. They may still slam the door on your foot, crushing and breaking every bone in your foot. The other 1% of the time is when your daddy is a huge name in dentistry or a huge benefactor. Bush went to Yale and Harvard!!!! He still thinks there are two u's in nuclear.

5. Dutchboy

Dutchboy Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I've heard stories that go both ways. I have a friend who's in dental school that had a family member who is alum. He got into the school with out taking Physics!! Yet I know another guy who had a dad who was alum and donated to the school and he didn't even get an interview at the school. It may just depend on the school.

6. dentwannabe

dentwannabe Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

yea a friend of mine worked for this doctor who knew dean in the school.

the most he could do was get him an interview, after that its up to the "committee"

7. dr.buck

dr.buck Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I don't see why not. It happens in lots of other situations (jobs,etc). It just may not be as common as the job situation. Plus, I think money and influence is a major factor.

8. SuperC

SuperC SuperC DMD
    5+ Year Member

Dentist
    As stated before, it helps you get your foot in the door. Someone might be able to get you an interview when, perhaps, you might not of had one. Nevertheless, you stil need to be on top of your game

9. DUBS

DUBS Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

in my opinion, if someone only gets into a certain school because of connections and not based on their own qualifications, they are going to suffer during dent school. if a person isn't accepted based on their own merit, they may not have the work ethic it takes to succeed in a certain school, which is why they didn't have a chance at the school without connections in the first place. don't get me wrong, i'm not making any judgements here, if you can get in one way or another more power to you...but tread carefully.......

10. Dutchboy

Dutchboy Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    My friend that got in without physics is one of the best students at the school. He probably would have eventually got in on his own merit, but I can't really blame him for taking an opportunity that was placed in front of him. Does it piss me off? Hell yes, I worked my ass off for my acceptance and had no help. +pity+

11. DIRTIE

DIRTIE Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I know of multiple schools that will 100% give you an interwiew if your parent, or sibling graduated from that school. Not saying that it will get you in, but its something close.