can someone help me please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DallasTx

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone; i just wanted to know what my chances are of getting into FM. I have passed step1 on fourth attempt with low score due to family stress; haven't taken step2cs/ck; im a carribean med student in final year right now; hope to study very hard and get a good score in step2 ck. although, i would like to know from someone who is in FM; please give me your honest opinion; Im only interested in FM or Pm&R. i feel shame of myself sometimes but then again; it could also show how decicated im, not that it matters, but hoepfully get me into a residency program. i feel time is running out, against me, as it is im getting old, huge loans and family members being dependent on me that one day i will be a physician. i dont know what to do with this situation??? do i have a chance?? or not at all or may be some......

Thanks in Advance

Members don't see this ad.

It's hard to say. Even though FM is one of the least competitive residencies to match into, that's not to say that they'll take just anybody. Most programs would rather not fill than to take people who are likely to have problems. A poor academic record isn't necessarily a show-stopper, but you can bet that it'll be a red flag. You'll definitely have to do well on Step 2 if you want to be able to say you've overcome your earlier deficiencies. Training in the Caribbean will also be a red flag to most programs. The more red flags you have, the harder time you're likely to have matching.

Your chances will probably be a bit better if you can show significant improvement on Step 2 (and pass on the first try), and most importantly, if you rotate at as many programs as you possibly can and blow them away with your work ethic and great people skills. If you feel like your clinical or people skills are deficient, in addition to the red flags Kent mentioned, I'm not going to lie to you, it's going to be an uphill battle for you. But if you can really shine in person, then do everything you can to let them see you in action for at least a month.

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all let me thank you both guys for giving me the advice. regardless, im still going to apply FM and see whats going to happen. worst comes to worst, if i don't get into FM or PM&R i will go into business. Life is short,and i always try to be positive. I beleive in Destiny, so if its my fate, i will accept whatever the outcome is. thanks again everyone,

Hello everyone; i just wanted to know what my chances are of getting into FM. I have passed step1 on fourth attempt with low score due to family stress; haven't taken step2cs/ck; im a carribean med student in final year right now; hope to study very hard and get a good score in step2 ck. although, i would like to know from someone who is in FM; please give me your honest opinion; Im only interested in FM or Pm&R. i feel shame of myself sometimes but then again; it could also show how decicated im, not that it matters, but hoepfully get me into a residency program. i feel time is running out, against me, as it is im getting old, huge loans and family members being dependent on me that one day i will be a physician. i dont know what to do with this situation??? do i have a chance?? or not at all or may be some......

Thanks in Advance

not to be a downer (b/c i think you can match), but you need to find out what states will license you since you failed the boards so many times. i am not sure, but i have heard that you cannot get a license in texas if you took the boards more than 3 times. i could be wrong about texas in particular, but i do know that some states put a cap on how many times you can fail. best of luck.
-tm

there are only a few states that has 3 limits including tx. some are 5, 7 and most are unlimited. but you have to finish all steps in 7 yrs.

there are only a few states that has 3 limits including tx. some are 5, 7 and most are unlimited. but you have to finish all steps in 7 yrs.

Best of luck to you, and do try to rotate at the programs you think you have the best shot at matching at...I think it can really help.