can someone help me? =)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dent

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi.. I am considerably new to this.. and i've been reading everyone's posts and they have been quite helpful...
but i have some questions that i need help with and was wondering if anyone out there can reply to this
i am applying this year yet i have not taken my dat's yet.. i am planning to take them early to mid-sept... however, someone told me that i should send in my aadsas application now... even though i have not taken my dats ... do you guys know if it is true??
oh!.. also.. i am not the usual.. pre-dent student in that i am a non-science major (psychology) Do you know if that will hurt my chances of getting in? I have ONLY taken organic, genchem, bio, physics, and microbiology for the dent requirements... my gpa is about 3.5 but science gpa is low (3.15 or 3.2)...i was thinking about applying to maybe tufts, bu, usc, loma linda? anyone have any input on this and perhaps any information on those schools listed?

Members don't see this ad.

Send in your AADSAS app ASAP. I'm at UOP dental right now, and when I was interviewing, some schools told me I should have sent in my application sooner.

I too was not a science major. Try applying to some state schools where you are a resident (if your state has a dental school). Try really hard on your DAT, study old tests, and try Kaplan... if you can. Since you are not a science major, I would take biochem, anatomy, and histology to prepare for dental school. Biochem and anatomy were particularly tough during my first year. If you have anymore questions, e-mail me at [email protected].

I'm in the process of filling out my AADSAS application and was concerned about the letters of recommendation. Do I need to send those at the same time I send my application? If not, how long do I have to send them? Also, how long was you personal essay and what were some things you talked about (besides why you wanted to be a dentist)? Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :)

some people view being a non-science major as a bonus. anyone that has fulfilled the requirements for both dental school and a completely different major proves that they must have worked hard. in addition, it shows that you are well rounded as a student.