Can someone help me???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shan1997

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently taking physics and it is kicking my butt!! I was wondeing can anyone give me any advice on how to get through this class? I need physics before i can take the MCAT and if I do not get through this class my dreams of medical school may be over:( . Can anyone tell me what things they did that led to their succes in the class and give me some pointers of how to succeed in the class. For those who have done well out of the course, what things did u do? Any help is much appreciated:) Another question is, I know kaplan is for prep courses but do they by any chance offer tutors for such subjects as physics?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an engineering major so I've taken physics classes out the wazoo and I got through them by...(you're not gonna like this) deriving the equations and working out all the problems VERY thoroughly. The hardest way to learn physics is to try and memorize what equations to use in what situations. I don't know where you go to school but they probably have a physics help desk where you can go and ask questions as well as your prof's office hours. The best question you can ask is,"Why?" Understand the motivations behind the key concepts and physics may even turn out to be fun. ;)
I took a kaplan course for the mcat and they had tutors but I don't know how well versed they would be in the material covered in your class. I would recommend a tutor from somewhere else (physics grad student perhaps?). Best of luck

Originally posted by shan1997
I am currently taking physics and it is kicking my butt!! I was wondeing can anyone give me any advice on how to get through this class? I need physics before i can take the MCAT and if I do not get through this class my dreams of medical school may be over:( . Can anyone tell me what things they did that led to their succes in the class and give me some pointers of how to succeed in the class. For those who have done well out of the course, what things did u do? Any help is much appreciated:) Another question is, I know kaplan is for prep courses but do they by any chance offer tutors for such subjects as physics?

Go to TA office hours, prof office hours, physics tutors, the Physics geek down the hall. Profs/TAs like it when you go to their office hours, in general. It means you want to learn.

Also, work on problem sets with other people, but make sure you don't rely on their knowledge. Work with other people to learn techniques, but actually write out everything yourself and don't just copy from their page.

Oh yeah, do lots of problems!!!

-RA

I agree. The only way you can possibly be successful in physics (and this is especially true of the MCAT) is to not understand when to use what equation but WHY to use a certain equation in a given situation. Understanding the concepts and situations that the equations represent is key. If you need extra help, go to your TA and professors' office hours, and some schools (like mine) offer free student-to-student tutoring for "weed out" classes like physics.