Can someone help me?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clcpod

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just got my MCAT score and I'm really upset about it :(. I studied for so long and tried so hard but I only got an 18P. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if I still stand a chance at either Temple, Ohio, Barry, Scholl, or DMU (the last 2 are out, I know). I have an overall GPA of 3.24 and I would guesstimate that my science GPA is around a 2.95. I have an extensive list of extracurricular activities and shadowing experience, as well as the OCPM internship.

I know all of these scores suck and I wouldn't be surprised if none of them accepted me. So can anyone tell me what I should do to improve my MCAT score, because I was pretty hardcore about it the first time around, and I'm just worried that I won't have the time to spend studying during this semester due to my courseload. I just can't believe I'm about to apply and I'm left with less than stellar stats. I'm also worried I might get a conditional acceptance somewhere and not be able to deliver the MCAT score required in the end.

Does anyone have any advice?

And I apologize if I was basically just rambling up there, I'm pretty upset...

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I just got my MCAT score and I'm really upset about it :(. I studied for so long and tried so hard but I only got an 18P. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if I still stand a chance at either Temple, Ohio, Barry, Scholl, or DMU (the last 2 are out, I know). I have an overall GPA of 3.24 and I would guesstimate that my science GPA is around a 2.95. I have an extensive list of extracurricular activities and shadowing experience, as well as the OCPM internship.

I know all of these scores suck and I wouldn't be surprised if none of them accepted me. So can anyone tell me what I should do to improve my MCAT score, because I was pretty hardcore about it the first time around, and I'm just worried that I won't have the time to spend studying during this semester due to my courseload. I just can't believe I'm about to apply and I'm left with less than stellar stats. I'm also worried I might get a conditional acceptance somewhere and not be able to deliver the MCAT score required in the end.

Thanks!

Get in contact with the admission staff from the pod schools and ask if your MCAT score of 18 is competitive.

CSPM will take an 18, as will Barry.

Hey guys,

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
So can anyone tell me what I should do to improve my MCAT score, because I was pretty hardcore about it the first time around, and I'm just worried that I won't have the time to spend studying during this semester due to my courseload...

What techniques did you use for studying the first time? Finding study partners/a study group, buying MCAT prep books, attending an MCAT prep class, sitting in on extra Bio/Phys/Chem lectures, taking many practice exams can all really help your score.

Also, I'm not sure about your courseload at the moment, but know that in podiatry school your courseload will include taking classes full time, as well as studying full time out of class. It's not un-common for students to study 3-5 hours/night on weekdays plus many hrs Saturdays and Sundays. So if you're serious about podiatry school, you're going to have to figure out how to study a lot, even with a large courseload. If you can do it for the MCAT, chances are you can do it in pod school.

Haha, yeah that's how I study for my classes now. That's why I figured I might not have an adequate amount of time for the MCAT. I could be wrong though...

Thanks for all your help guys, I have another question though. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the OCPM 5 year program. I had only heard that it existed, but not any details on it. I really wasn't hoping to be accepted into it, just wanted to know what it was about just in case that is something that comes up for me in the future.

i'd just call Lois Lott, she's dean of admissions. her number is on the admissions page of www.ocpm.edu. she has all the answers!

Thanks for all your help guys, I have another question though. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the OCPM 5 year program. I had only heard that it existed, but not any details on it. I really wasn't hoping to be accepted into it, just wanted to know what it was about just in case that is something that comes up for me in the future.

As was suggested you can call Dean Lott to find out, or you can be more specific as to what you want to know about the 5 year program.

Oh, I'd like to know anything really, I just found out it existed last week haha.

Oh, I'd like to know anything really, I just found out it existed last week haha.

Well it takes 5 years to complete instead of the usual 4 (obviously). They may place you in the 5 year program if you are a weaker candidate or you can choose to be in that program if that is where you think you would be best suited.

For OCPM as a 5 in your first year you dont take gross anatomy in first semester, and you dont take lower anatomy or PD in your second semester and then you have the entire summer off.

Honestly, you should aim to be in the 4 unless there is something really legit thats making you think about the 5. Why spend an extra year of your life/tuition in school if you dont have to!?!?!? A lot of people think of the 5 as some form of punishment or a lesser place in the college. I disagree. You can be successful in the 5 just as you can be in the 4. If you work hard you will graduate with a DPM from either and the end result will be the same.

I am not sure what your MCAT breakdown has to do with the 5 year program but perhaps I am missing something and DisabledVet can clarify.