Can someone help me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CashRag33

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking a philosophy class in the summer to see if I should major in philosphy. And I think the highest grade I will end up with is a B. Should I drop the class because I need to maintain high g.p.a.?

Members don't see this ad.

How far into the course are you?

Honestly, don't drop the course. Do the best you can. You can't drop every course just because you might not get an A. That can look bad on a transcript, especially since med schools need to see every school you went to and the classes you took.

Try and step it up a bit. If there's a final coming up, study as hard as you can and make sure you know the material. In hindsight, a B really isn't that bad compared to a W, in my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're obviously not that far in then.

I dunno, I guess I wouldn't drop it unless there was a serious issue of me failing the course, or some outstanding situation like that. But then again, I wouldn't be taking a course over the summer just to "see" if I would want to take the major over the school year.

I have a hard deciding what to major in. How would you pick a major if you were me, and what did you major in? I basically thinking between psychology and philosophy. I interested in both. Psychology because of employment prospect, it's interesting to study, and I think I can get good grades, but I don't think it will prepare me for the MCAT. Philosophy because it trains me to think analytically and logically, become a much better writer, and it gives me skill I need for the MCAT. But I think it will be hard to get over a 3.5 g.p.a. in this major since it's hard and my English is not that great.

If you can work on your English over the summer, then you'll have a double positive: you can have better English skills AND you can major in Philosophy to develop other skills. I'm a Psychology major, and I think while the theories are interesting, it's not really necessary to learn it in a classroom setting - you can just pick up a textbook or book on Psychology when you're not in school and learn the same things. So maybe you can do some independent study on the side.

I have a hard deciding what to major in. How would you pick a major if you were me, and what did you major in? I basically thinking between psychology and philosophy. I interested in both. Psychology because of employment prospect, it's interesting to study, and I think I can get good grades, but I don't think it will prepare me for the MCAT. Philosophy because it trains me to think analytically and logically, become a much better writer, and it gives me skill I need for the MCAT. But I think it will be hard to get over a 3.5 g.p.a. in this major since it's hard and my English is not that great.

I'm an English major. I picked it because I love reading and writing, and I can use that as a backup if medical school does not pan out. It was either that, or be a Theater major, and while medical schools could care less what major you pick, I didn't want to stand out as the "theatrical" physician.

I'm not too sure exactly how your major can help you prepare for the MCAT, maybe in the VR part of it, but I wouldn't just pick a major for that, especially if you feel you would not be able to keep up a nice non-science GPA. You want to pick something you're interested in. Just like I wouldn't pick a biology major just because I feel like it would help me on the MCAT.

Summer classes tend to be "tight packed", meaning they pack a semester's worth of material in a month. So don't get discouraged. If you can get a B under such tight schedule, you can do better in a normal semester.

If you can work on your English over the summer, then you'll have a double positive: you can have better English skills AND you can major in Philosophy to develop other skills. I'm a Psychology major, and I think while the theories are interesting, it's not really necessary to learn it in a classroom setting - you can just pick up a textbook or book on Psychology when you're not in school and learn the same things. So maybe you can do some independent study on the side.

Yeah that is what I am going to do over summer. But I am not sure if I should take the class because it can drag my g.p.a. down. Yeah that was what I was thinking with psychology too, it may be just memorizing information. Which is why I like to major in philosophy. The only thing that keeps me from wanting to major in philosophy is it is hard to get A's so I will likely end up like 3.2 g.p.a. range. But psychology, I can end up like 3.6 at least, but I will have no skill to prepare me for MCAT cause verbal reasoning is something you can't pick up.

Is there any english or philosophy major out there who can tell me what kind of grades are you receiving in these classes? What is your g.p.a. in the major? How hard is it to get A. My english skill is average, and used to be a second english learner, would you recommend this major, can I get at least 3.5 gpa?