All Branch Topic (ABT) Can someone lay out how GME training affects service obligation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Baron Samedi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was talking about this and am now more confused than ever. How much would someone who did 4y HPSP, 1y internship, 3y residency, and 1y military fellowship owe?

And is there a place to actually find our exact ADSO?

Members don't see this ad.

In the gme section under mods there is an “announcement” section and it’s laid out there

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was talking about this and am now more confused than ever. How much would someone who did 4y HPSP, 1y internship, 3y residency, and 1y military fellowship owe?

And is there a place to actually find our exact ADSO?

Assuming all of this is consecutive time, said person would owe 6 years once fellowship was over.

4 years owed for HPSP. Residency is 3y so it is served concurrently with 4 yr HPSP requirement.
Fellowship is 2 year payback for one year FTOS

Say you did an internship then a 4 year GMO tour paying back your HPSP contract and went back into a military residency. What is the obligation after residency? Also once residency is completed are you eligible to sign the multi year bonus contract?

Say you did an internship then a 4 year GMO tour paying back your HPSP contract and went back into a military residency. What is the obligation after residency? Also once residency is completed are you eligible to sign the multi year bonus contract?

If you payback your 4 year HPSP obligation via GMO route and decided to go to military residency rather than get out then you would owe 1 year for every year of residency (minimum of 3 years I believe). So 3 year residency = 3 more years payback. 5 year residency = 5 year payback.

Once you serve (payback) your initial accession obligation (4 for HPSP, 7 for USUHS) you are eligible to take a retention bonus.

If you payback your 4 year HPSP obligation via GMO route and decided to go to military residency rather than get out then you would owe 1 year for every year of residency (minimum of 3 years I believe). So 3 year residency = 3 more years payback. 5 year residency = 5 year payback.

Once you serve (payback) your initial accession obligation (4 for HPSP, 7 for USUHS) you are eligible to take a retention bonus.

That’s what I thought. So in theory once I finish residency I’ll be eligible for the board speciality pay and the MSP pay. Is the Contract for MSP concurrent or consecutive with payback