Can someone please answer my friends question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDDS98

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My friend and I are having a debate about Dental school acceptance. He is trying to argue that a 4.0 in a school with an 81% acceptance rate (Pace) ,is the same as a 4.0 in a school with a 29% acceptance rate (Hunter). I'm trying to argue that class rigor will be looked at. Can someone weigh in on this. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Am I the only who's never heard of these schools?

To be terse, it doesn't really matter where you went for undergrad.

Reactions: 9 users
The rigor of your specific classes matter, but not your school name. Maybe if it was an Ivy League, but even then, it doesn't make much of an impact

Members don't see this ad :)
The rigor, and the school, are looked at... Organic Chemistry at a community college is a lot different than Organic Chemistry at Harvard or a top notch school. Of course it matters where you did your classes. Thats why they have the DAT test. Its a level playing field to compare everybody from every school.

Reactions: 1 users
The rigor of your specific classes matter, but not your school name. Maybe if it was an Ivy League, but even then, it doesn't make much of an impact
I disagree. At one of my interviews my interviewer told me that a lot of schools inflate their accepted student profile GPA by accepting people with high GPAs from really crappy schools- they definitely take into account where you went to school- especially if it's a top research school nationally as their science curriculum is significantly harder than say some random tiny liberal arts school with no name.

Reactions: 2 users
My friend and I are having a debate about Dental school acceptance. He is trying to argue that a 4.0 in a school with an 81% acceptance rate (Pace) ,is the same as a 4.0 in a school with a 29% acceptance rate (Hunter). I'm trying to argue that class rigor will be looked at. Can someone weigh in on this. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
EC's, LOR's, DAT, personal statements would be taken into consideration before UG reputation or rigor (if they take it into consideration at all)

I disagree. At one of my interviews my interviewer told me that a lot of schools inflate their accepted student profile GPA by accepting people with high GPAs from really crappy schools- they definitely take into account where you went to school- especially if it's a top research school nationally as their science curriculum is significantly harder than say some random tiny liberal arts school with no name.
Was the interviewer in question privy to how "a lot schools" choose their class or was he/she just blowing smoke? Bad mouthing colleagues in academic circles or in professional practice does not belong in a profession.

The simple answer is that there is no simple answer. Different dental schools look for different qualities in their applicants. To assert anything else is pure speculation (unless, of course, you've spoken with the admissions office from each and every dental school across the country).

Last edited: