1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Can someone please explain NMR and which hydrogen is most acidic?

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by teefRcool, Jul 17, 2006.

1. teefRcool

teefRcool Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Can someone please explain NMR and which hydrogen is most acidic?

I'm seriously lost with those could someone please explain how those work and how to pick which hydrogen is most acidic when given a huge molecule.

NMR i'm lost about how many peaks etc..?

Thanks a bunch if someone could help me out.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. midwestboy

midwestboy Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student

The most acidic hydrogen is usually the hydrogen located closest to the most electronegative or electron withdrawing atom. ie the Hydrogen attached to oxygen in alcohols or acids.

4. teefRcool

teefRcool Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

so what if you have ketone in the middle of a chain then what?

5. allstardentist

allstardentist All-Star
    10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    if i remember correctly, the alpha hydrogens are most acidic

6. orgoman22

orgoman22 DAT DESTROYER
    Lifetime Donor Sponsor Exhibitor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    The best way that I teach all my students about acidity is first to recall general guidlines..... Carboxy Acids > Phenols > alcohols > alkynes > alkenes > alkanes. while esters, ethers, and amides are not very acidic at all. I think that should help for the DAT. Now, what if there is a ketone or aldehyde ? The pka of an alcohol is about 16, while the aldehyde or ketone is about 20, thus less acidic. If a double alpha proton is present such as in 1,3- cyclohexanone, it would be more acidic because of resonance stabilization of the anion by both carbonyl groups. In Acetoacetic ester, look up the structure in your Orgo book, you would note that the double alpha proton has a pKa of 11, much more acidic than an alpha proton. I hope that helps

Regards Dr. Jim Romano NYU