Can someone please give me advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

younggunner94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a current applicant for this cycle. I am still in "limbo" at around 15 schools, and do not yet have an acceptance. I am doing medical research for my gap year, and have a manuscript that will be submitted for publication to a journal within the next few weeks. Is there any benefit to sending the schools I'm still hoping to hear from an update about this and the research I have been involved in? I've heard "submitting doesn't mean anything", but my PI (who has over 1300 publications) offered to write me a LOR as well and include in it that our manuscript is very likely to be accepted. Should I take him up on this? I also have been involved in a new volunteering activity which I also would include in my update letter.

If this is worth doing, how do I go about sending his LOR to the schools? AMCAS? Or have him send it?

This year has been an emotional rollercoaster. I haven't had the luck I hoped I would have and I want to end the cycle knowing I did everything in my power to get into medical school. Any advice is very very much appreciated!

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Put it this way, there's no harm in doing it. I don't know the specifics of your limbo, but maybe that extra submission that eventually becomes a pub will give your app a needed nudge. Maybe not. Worth a shot. The LOR is through AMCAS, the update is through your app portal or email.
All the best, stay buckled into that rollercoaster til the end. Arsenal kinda sucks tho.

Reactions: 1 user