Can someone please help me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prolefeed5

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've just discovered this site and seen a few threads in which people describe their premed position and ask for advice... I'm really hoping some people would have some thoughts on me and maybe give me a little advice.

I'm a senior at the University of Pennsylvania, Bio major and Chem minor; I unfortunately will only graduate with a 3.0 GPA, and probably only a 2.9 in science and math courses. However, my average GPA for the last 5 semesters will probably fall around a 3.3, so the majority of my bad grades lie in my first 3 semesters. I took the MCATs this past August and scored a 37 Q (11 Verbal, 12 Physical Sciences, 14 Biological Sciences). I approached my premed advisor, hoping that this MCAT score (which as far as a I can tell from charts I have seen is in the top 2 or 3 percent) would somehow rectify my low GPA to a certain point, with the thought that the MCAT is described on the AAMC website as testing the premed knowledge base. My hope was that I would be able to explain to Med schools that I had decided late in the game to go premed and wasn't as motivated in the beginning (which is true) and convince them by my MCAT score that I had learned the material just as well or better than others who scored higher in undergrad classes (I would say something more tactful than this...). I also hoped that because Penn was highly ranked, my GPA would be forgiven slightly as everything is curved.
My advisor said that I really still didn't have a chance of even getting interviews and that I should worry about taking extra classes or considering another field... everyone else I've talked to is much more optimistic, but I would imagine my advisor knows best. It's been suggested by others that maybe he is discouraging me from applying so that I don't ruin Penn's high premed acceptance rate in the likely chance I don't get in anywhere, which I suppose is possible, but I'm trying avoid forming any deluded conspiracy theories.
As far as other things in my life, I've been doing independent research in a well-established developmental biology lab since sophomore year and should publish a article next semester... I have a good amount of tutoring, volunteer and other stuff, like playing in bands, fraternity, being a Information Technology Advisor, etc.
I honestly don't really know what to do at this point... I'm already late to apply if I do next semester and I'm sure my advisor (who has to write my application cover letters) will feel the same way about my application as he did last semester.

Does anyone have an opinion on how I stand, suggestions for ways to package myself, places I should apply, etc? I'd really, really appreciate the input. Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

The MCAT score definitely helps, but your GPA will be a red flag. Med schools want to see that you can successfully follow through on your work.

You can try & apply next year. I imagine that you'll get interviews somewhere & maybe an acceptance, but who knows. You could always do a post-bacc program to improve your GPA.

One addendum... the coursework I have taken here has been avoided by many other premeds (e.g. harder math classes, harder, science-based electives (I've really never taken anything just for fun), etc.) For our degree, you have to take a series of over 200-level bio courses, and of course I avioded the easy ones. It's obviously my own stupidity for doing this, but hopefully med schools will see that I don't have many "gpa-boosting" classes on my transcript. Well, whatever... maybe it doesn't matter.

-prolefeed5

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats on that MCAT score!

your gpa i think is probably a little low.... you should probably take some extra classes to get it a little higher. as far as applying this year, if you haven't already started, i don't know if you really want to since many schools are filled with interviews until the late spring anyway.

the MCAT score will still be good next year :) also- you may want to look into some clinical experiences- that will definitely help schools look past your GPA.

your advisor should change his tune once he sees that you are serious enough to take the extra classes or whatever to boost your application.

just my thoughts :)

take a bunch of science classes this semester and get a's.
i would imagine it would take a lot to raise your science gpa since you have probably already taken a lot of science classes for your major/minor. med schools like to see improvement. if you can do really well this semester i think you will have a decent shot. plus it will make your premed advisor look more favorably upon you, so you will probably get a better letter.

what is your state of residence?

how bad are your bad grades?

try posting your question to gower at www.medicalgold.com

I'm in a situation similar to yours:

Fr GPA - 3.2
So GPA - 3.3
Jr GPA - 3.3
Sr GPA - 3.8
MCAT - 11/11/11/Q

Like you, I decided on medical school late. I kind of wandered aimlessly around in college until I decided to pursue medicine my senior year. My senior year classes were the hardest ones too -- PChem, senior seminars, etc. -- but somehow having a motivator drove me on.

I wasn't satisfied with that though. I wanted to show medical schools that my senior year wasn't a fluke, so I took a couple of years off before applying. In that time, I took more upper level undergrad courses and worked to get some interesting experience. I got a 4.0 GPA for all those classes and brought my overall GPA up to a 3.5.

I've gotten four interviews so far, from high ranking, prestigious schools to low ranking ones.

Nothing is impossible, if you want it bad enough. The question is, do you want to take the extra time to prove to medical schools that you can follow through with your work?

i think it's definatley worth a shot. but the schools may think is that you were lazy in college bc your mcat is so high compared to your grades. i don't think you'll get into one of the top schools but there are lots of lower tier schools to choose from too. if do you well in one of them you can still get into a good residency program. moreover, get into any school and your a doctor. i would apply if i were you but stick to the less competitive schools with a few better reaches. just my two cents though. good luck.

i'd say it's worth a shot, at least i hope!
i have ~ same situation, ivy school, low gpa, high mcat (although not nearly as good as yours! congrats !!)
although i have been grilled in interviews about why the disparity, i'm hoping for one of the schools to pull thru.
i haven't gotten accepted yet but still hoping. . .
you could try applying while simultaneously doing something that would help your app if u have to apply again (one-yr masters? etc.)
but yeah, your advisor sounds like he might be a little overly pessimistic.
i have gotten 5 interviews and i took the august mcat. i am also a urm, which i'm sure has helped me, but then again like i said, i took the august mcat so everything was pretty late, and my mcat score is a whole 3 points lower than yours. basically: try. it won't hurt and u might be pleasantly surprised; that is if it won't hurt you too much financially to apply. best of luck!

i dont know what the premed advisors at your school are like, but mine (also an Ivy) suck worse than anyone would ever believe. in fact, one of mine practically torpedoed my MD/PhD apps by telling everyone that after a sincere evaluation of my career decision, I had decided not to do the MD/PhD program. (and if this ever makes it back to my premed committee - GOOD, you guys made me look f-ing stupid on some of my MSTP interviews!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: )
anyway, my point is that premed advisors, especially at large schools are full of $hit. but they still write your committee letter. if i were you, i would make sure my LORs were very very strong. get some folks who know you well to write them and make sure some of those are from full fledged faculty - the bigger the better.
I've found that in spite of a lukewarm committee letter, having strong LORs really goes the distance. While your GPA is low, I think your MCAT score is high enough that you'll be reasonably successful, but I think the real key will be your LORs.

hey

i am from UPENN myself.. . is the guy you talked to Andy? Talked to Christiana...shes really nice person and I started going to her end of sophomore year beginning junior year...i had around 3.2 science and 3.3 overall that time...happen to raise that to a 3.57 when i graduated.

to tell you the truth though i have heard that upenn does try to discourage people from applying if they think that you have less of a chance than the others who are applying...thats why 80 percent of applicants from upenn go to med school.

if you have any questions PM me.

Andy Coopersmith at Penn likes to paint a negative picture. I guess it is to see if you are serious and also to prepare (or at least get you thinking) for the worst. Most of my friends did a little better in the application process than they would have expected based on what he said. But at the same time, he has been around and most of what he says is pretty good.

You may want to go to the other advisor and say that you are really interested and that he gave you some discouraging news but that you want her to write you the committee letter. It is definitely worth a shot applying. You sound like a strong candidate and would be prepared for med school classes (what made you take extra math classes?). If it doesn't work out and you need to take extra classes or spend a year doing research than you can reapply.

Originally posted by johnstoner
hey

i am from UPENN myself.. . is the guy you talked to Andy? Talked to Christiana...shes really nice person and I started going to her end of sophomore year beginning junior year...i had around 3.2 science and 3.3 overall that time...happen to raise that to a 3.57 when i graduated.

to tell you the truth though i have heard that upenn does try to discourage people from applying if they think that you have less of a chance than the others who are applying...thats why 80 percent of applicants from upenn go to med school.

if you have any questions PM me.

johnstoner I PM'ed you

Just like to thank you guys for the input...

lola asked where I'm from and how bad my bad grades are... I'm from Maine; not really sure how that would factor into anything, especially considering that my family will probably move to DC by the time I start applying and I have no intention of working here after I graduate (no med schools here either :))
...I have a few Cs, mostly from Orgo classes (and one D from Freshman year when I was pledging (not that that is really an excuse...) but I took the class over). Other than that, my Bio grades have been straight Bs and B+s... maybe it would have been better if I had gotten straight Cs to begin with and finish it off with As, but its easier said than done.
Someone mentioned clinical experience, and I realized I forgot to say antyhing about that... I am just starting to volunteer at the Hospital of UPenn, so I will have that.
Anyway, I'm planning on lab-teching after I graduate in the meantime, and I will make sure to work at a University that offers free or or reduced-priced classes to employees (like Penn does) and take advantage of that... to be honest, much of my problem does stem from early laziness, and I do believe that I would be able to do well in post-bacc classes.

If you don't mind living in Texas, Georgia, Nebraska, West Virginia etc. Then I think your MCAT can make up for the low GPA early in your college carreer. You do go to an Ivy League school so that would be taken into account.
At the University of Texas in San Antonio, they took a student from University of Houston (BA Biology) with a 3.4 GPA and MCAT of 25. Texas Tech took a Rice University student (BA Biol) with 3.0 GPA and MCAT of 24. My ex-roomate at Rice was taken by Baylor (Mech Eng 2.9) with mediocre MCAT (Don't know exact number but for sure not higher than yours). All are Texas residents. Your chances would be better if you become a Texas resident (one year working in the state). Your school debts would also be halved because of significantly lower state resident tuition. The other states I mentioned also have higher in-state acceptances (eg. West Virginia U and Marshall) etc. Good Luck.