Can someone please share their experience at the Louisville School of Dentisrty?

mokie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2005
Status
I am a third (soon to be fourth) year student at ULSD. Overall, my experience so far has been good. There are, of course, things I don't like about it, but I think many of them are things that are frustrating about dental school in general more than about ULSD specifically. Some of the preclinical classes were frustrating- the usual story of off the wall test questions, profs that don't care, annoying lab work, ect. Our general path class is notoriously difficult and frustrating. The prof is the type that enjoys trying to trick students with questions about the most umimportant details imaginable. But it is doable, and I made it through just fine.
Let's see what else. The facilities are not the greatest. They have been promising remodeled clinics to every class for the past 5 years, but it has yet to happen. The clinics are old, but they are certainly still servicable. We have recently had computers installed in every clinic cubicle, which is nice I guess, once you get past the learning curve with the software. We do have a pretty nice Simulation clinic for preclinical classes.
Parking and rising tutition are common complaints. We have a new dean that started this year who has promised lots of change, but since he's not been here long we've yet to see much of it.
Most of us feel that our education in ortho and perio are somewhat lacking. Some of that has been changed for the class behind me, though, so they may have different opinions. We get a lot of excellent instruction in fixed and removable pros. The operative class is very good too. We have one of the highest clinical boards pass rates in the country- last year we had a 99% past rate on SRTA and 100% on WREBs.
Re-reading this I see that I have listed mostly negative things about ULSD, but like I said initially my experience overall has been good. The clinical education has been great. We have a very large patient pool- there is even a waiting list to become a patient at the school. Each student has their own clinic cubicle, so there is none of the crazy jockeying for a chair I have heard about at other schools. We have a lot of really excellent clinical faculty. We do a one week rotation through each of oral surgery and pedo every semester. We also have TMD and endo speciality clinics you can schedule your patients in if they need it.
Each class, for the most part, tends to get along well and help each other out. My class is especially good about this, but the class below me has a reputation of being full of gunners. I'd say maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of my class wants to specialize, but there are plenty of us who just want to be GPs as well (myself included).
I can't really think of anything else to say, but if you have specific questions, feel free to ask. HTH!

MnBr63

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2007
Louisville, KY
Status
Dental Student
Thanks so much for the insight. I'll be up there next year, too.

About the Ads