can someone suggest a good stethescope

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheruka

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I recently lost my stethescopr on the wards. Is Cardiology III Littman a decent one? I forgot the model of the one I lost.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I recently lost my stethescopr on the wards. Is Cardiology III Littman a decent one? I forgot the model of the one I lost.

Littman's Cardiology III or Master Cardiology. The former if you want a dedicated pediatric bell/diaphragm.

Both are great.

I've used some very top-notch electronic stethoscopes that were amazing. Just depends if you want to go that route, and how much you want to spend.

I have a Harvey Proctor which I like a lot. Good sound; I can hear murmurs much more consistently than my senior residents despite my lack of experience. The problems are that it's quite big and that it doesn't have rubber around the edges to make a good seal.

My vote goes to Littmann Cardiology III. I'm not using it for a long time but it made a good job while I was a family practitioner. It is a little heavy but has a good sound and very sensitive.

I love my adscope which is similar to the litmann cardio 3 but less expensive should it decide to grow legs on the wards - and it has just as good of sound

I just received my littman cards III. It is kind of short length. Works fne but this means I need to be closer to the patient than I am used to. Did not find a way to specify the length on amazon...

I just received my littman cards III. It is kind of short length. Works fne but this means I need to be closer to the patient than I am used to. Did not find a way to specify the length on amazon...
Tell me you don't have to touch them too! That would just be icky.

Shorter tubes sound better. Good stethoscopes have short tubes.

Reactions: 3 users
If you have plenty of money to spare or won't lose this one, go with a Cardiology III. If you tend to lose things often, just get an ADC cardiology, they're fine too, and about 1/3 the cost. I don't think anyone's life was ever saved by the quality difference between an ADC and a Littmann anyway.

Tell me you don't have to touch them too! That would just be icky.

Shorter tubes sound better. Good stethoscopes have short tubes.
I did not know this, thanks for the info :) You made me smile:p:laugh:

If you have plenty of money to spare or won't lose this one, go with a Cardiology III. If you tend to lose things often, just get an ADC cardiology, they're fine too, and about 1/3 the cost. I don't think anyone's life was ever saved by the quality difference between an ADC and a Littmann anyway.

Rankings of scopes:
1) Welch Allyn DLX (2 or 3 headed scope)= Littmann Master cardiology
2) Welch allyn harvey elite
3) Littmann cardiology III
4) Littmann classic/IISE

Can't comment on the ADC scopes since I haven't used them.

Electronic scopes I don't think are worth the money. They pick up too much background noise. So if you're ever going to be in an ER (ie every medical specialty), they are basically worthless there.

Shorter scopes are better. They give you better accoustics. If you have the yellow disposable scopes for contact patients and cut them in half, the disposable scopes actually become usable.

I thought that was called an internist, but whatever you say.

No an internist is who you consult when the patient has more than one medical conditions that contains more than four letters in the name (wheezing, cough, Asis-tolee?, troponin)

No an internist is who you consult when the patient has more than one medical conditions that contains more than four letters in the name (wheezing, cough, Asis-tolee?, troponin)
No, they usually call me for wheezing and cough. Not sure what troponin is. Some kind of snack?