Can someone take a second and try to help me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedAdAG

I am so smart. S-M-R-T :)
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay.. here is my deal.. I've taken two practice tests and I definitely am not breaking a 20. What should I do. It sounds like I should already be scoring close to what I will be scoring in August. I feel sort of doomed.. in all honesty, I can't seem to get above 6's on my two practice Princeton Review exams. Yikes.. when should I decide if I am ready or not to take it in august. If i've already registered, can I get my money back???? :confused: Well, any input would help.

Members don't see this ad.

1. What practice tests did you use?

2. When are you applying to med school?

whoops, guess you answered #1. The only way to accurately guage how you are doing is to take the aamc tests III - VI. Take III, see how you do, then make a decision. Correlation of review class exams to the actual exam has been discussed before, search it, I think you'll find that many people took TPR exams and their results didn't come close to predicting how they did on the actual mcat.

I agree with Z, but want to add a bit. It is definitely true that AAMC exams give the best approximation, but PR exam scores need to be reasonable if you hope to have a good real MCAT score. I have seen mid-20 scores become 30+ on the actual MCAT many times.

But scoring below 20 on two consecutive exams might be cause for a small concern at this stage. Take an AAMC exam SOON and see how you do. If you are in the low 20s, you might want to figure out what the difficulty is before you sit for the actual MCAT. You can defer it until April for a small fee.

One difficulty might be adjusting to the style of the MCAT, which can be corrected if you take a whole bunch of passages. Before you make any decision, you need to determine if your score is low because of informational gaps or faulty test-taking logic.

Being that you are in Davis, you are lucky in one sense (more than just two MCAT prep choices). Call the Berkeley Review and tell them you are interested in their course and that you'd like to sit in on a couple classes to evaluate their teachers. The classes review material in conjunction with strategy and analytical reasoning. Even if they only let you sit for two or three classes, I'm pretty sure those classes will help greatly. Hopefully they change your perspective on the test and provide a new way of thinking about the subject.

Good luck with your efforts. By the way, I PMed you a while ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
It isn't even July. Are we really already supposed to be scoring about what we predict we will get on the MCAT? I am taking a review course, and we haven't even covered half of the material. How is it possible to expect a high score when you haven't learned everything yet?

Hey jinoxi and welcome to SDN!!

you can expect a high score w/out having learned the material b/c the mcat first and foremost tests your ability to take a test. if you know that you take tests well if you know the material, you can predict that you'll do okay even if you have yet to learn anything. of course this assumes you will actually LEARN the material...

wow, that was a convoluted answer. hope it makes sense.