joonkimdds

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2005
Status
Pre-Dental
It seems NMR and IR are guaranteed to be on DAT.
All I know for these are what I learned from DAT destroyer and people say destroyer questions are way too simple.

Could someone write some NMR and IR info to the point that it can be on DAT and not too hard (unless DAT post hard NMR and IR).

Jun 19, 2009
Status
It seems NMR and IR are guaranteed to be on DAT.
All I know for these are what I learned from DAT destroyer and people say destroyer questions are way too simple.

Could someone write some NMR and IR info to the point that it can be on DAT and not too hard (unless DAT post hard NMR and IR).
Buy the ACS book...it's like 20 dollars. The chapter on spectroscopy has lots of good questions.

Tommy43087

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2009
Cali
Status
Dentist
looks like im trying to answer all your threads lol. But its really simple know major functional groups like the 1700-1800 cm-1 range for carbonyl groups and 3000cm-1 for OH groups, also know that there is a 1600cm-1 with a bunch of little peaks next to it indicating an aromatic group. Just kind of familiarize you self with it. Also for proton NMR its should be really simple 6-9 is almost definitely an aromatic and about 9 is is definitely a carbonyl group if its above 10 its DEFINITELY a carboxilic. Just try to find the values and their pretty easy to distinguish, but you definitely have to know how to distinguish multiplicites, but if you can do that you are deinitely in good shape. I think knowing how distinguish multiplicites will take you far enough!(but i would still memorize values)

Murl

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2008
Status
Dental Student
For the Aldehydic proton in a carbonyl it should be around 9, but for the ketone you may just see one peak at around 3-4, especially if it is symmetrical on both sides.

Jun 14, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
I commited a list of approximations to memory (EWG means electron-withdrawing group)
0-2.5: H-C-R
2.5-4.5: H-C-EWG
4.5-6.5: H-EWG
6.5-8.5: H-benzene ring
8.5-12: H-COR, H-OCOR

It's a rough approximation but it works for most cases. Also try to know how splitting works.

ZzZzSleepyhead

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Check your ochem textbook for good NMR and IR Q's.