Can the schools I was rejected from tell me why?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alex1803

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard of people receiving post-interview rejections calling/emailing admissions committee members asking why they were so as to improve there chances next time.

My question is...Is it appropriate for someone who was rejected without any interview to do the same? Will they have any idea why I was rejected so far past when I actually received notice?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, it is appropriate to ask the school the reason for rejection. the school should know the reason why even if it has been a while. they include that information with your file, and as long as they have the file they have the info on why you were not accepted.

Yes, it is absolutely appropriate to ask a school how you can improve your application. Some will not be so receptive, but others like USF and UMiami are very open to talking about the application with the student and telling you your weak points.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not all schools will tell you. Very few told me last year - I gave up contacting all of them when the majority said "ain't talkin' -- no how no way and go away don't bother me I'm busy". blech. Rejection sucks. :(

ShyRem said:
Not all schools will tell you. Very few told me last year - I gave up contacting all of them when the majority said "ain't talkin' -- no how no way and go away don't bother me I'm busy". blech. Rejection sucks. :(
That's just b/c they didn't want to tell you their method of throwing the apps down the stairs. Then you would have included 10 LOR's to make your file heavier. :)

ShyRem said:

I hear that. I mean damn, how many polite e-mails can you send before you wanna tell them to go piss off....apparently our secondary money ain't even worth talking to us. Or maybe it's guilt?