can they take away my residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pianogirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I matched into prelim surgery and then anesthesiology. I just found out I failed step 2 CS. I talked to the anesthesiology program director (who I know well) who said they will keep my spot as long as I have a license and finish my intership without a problem. I am worried about keeping my internship. I have already signed up to take the CS again. Any advice please?

Members don't see this ad.

What are your school's graduation requirements? It's been a few years, but I believe my school required everyone to pass step II (all of it) before they could graduate. If your school is similar, then that will probably be your biggest hang up.

Can only be a problem if:

1) your school requires passing Step 2 CS to graduate. Some schools only require TAKING the exam, not passing, so check carefully.

2) the state your internship is in requires a training license, and that training license requires Step 2 CS.

If both of those check out, then there is no problem, other than the $$$ you'll have to spend to take CS again.

What are your school's graduation requirements? It's been a few years, but I believe my school required everyone to pass step II (all of it) before they could graduate. If your school is similar, then that will probably be your biggest hang up.

I think many schools just require you to have sat for, but not necessarily passed, the Step 2 tests these days for graduation.

I'm kind of embarrassed to admit this, but the same thing happened to me. I know my school doesn't require Step 2 to graduate, but I would feel better if I knew that the state I'm going to will give me a temporary license until I can pass it. I've re-registered but haven't received the scheduling permit yet. I'm with you, OP...this is my nightmare.

my school does require passing step 2 CS to graduate. I have signed up to take it and the first possible day of reporting is June 26 (I have heard you usually hear back that day). I am hoping the program director for my prelim year is willing to work with me. Please help!

piano
sorry that you are in this position.
I think you need to level with your future PD. However, I'd ask the advice of your school's dean of students and/or career office, or a trusted faculty member, to help you with how to approach the new PD. It might help to have the aid of someone who knows you well, and can vouch for you. It's all you can do, plus promise that you WILL pass the exam this time. They will probably keep you, not wanting to go through the whole interview process again with new candidate(s).

I think this is also a warning to future 4th year students to take the exam early enough so that if the unthinkable happens and you fail the CS exam, you have time to retake it.

my school does require passing step 2 CS to graduate. I have signed up to take it and the first possible day of reporting is June 26 (I have heard you usually hear back that day). I am hoping the program director for my prelim year is willing to work with me. Please help!

It takes at least several weeks to get your CS result back. If you can not have a MD without passing the CS, you have to talk to your surgery prelim PD. You need 48 weeks for your intern year, perhaps you could take "vacation" in the first four week while waiting for your CS result?

This is actually a really good idea. Assume there might be some delay in getting your diploma, etc. and act accordingly to salvage your intern year.

Most programs will not exactly allow you to do this. I can't physically hire someone until they have an MD, and you can't be on vacation without being hired.

That being said, it's important to tell your future PD very shortly. They can at least put you on a non call block first -- this will give you some leeway in when your license will come through. You will also likely miss some of orientation, which you will need to make up before starting (although there is some chance they will let you attend orientation without actually being hired).

From a legal standpoint they cannot void your match if you have all of your results by July 1st. You should talk to your school now about making sure you get your diploma immediately upon getting your CS result - if there's a month delay you'll potentially be in trouble. Also figure out how you'll get your diploma (or other verification of graduation) from your school to your program really quickly.

As others have said, most PD's will give you a month to get everything in order, especially if they know up front and build your schedule so that it doesn;t inconvenience anyone else. You might be off cycle, or perhaps can claim vacation retrospectively, or simply forgo your vacation.

Good luck.

Thanks piano for having the guts to post this so others like me can get advice vicariously. I'm so sorry to hear that your school requires this test to graduate, but I hope it all works out for you timing-wise. Good luck to you (and to all of us who have to retake)!
Just for others' info, here's what I found out about Wisconsin's policies - They don't require a temporary license until the second year, and Step 2 must be passed before the end of the FIRST YEAR of residency.

Thanks piano for having the guts to post this so others like me can get advice vicariously. I'm so sorry to hear that your school requires this test to graduate, but I hope it all works out for you timing-wise. Good luck to you (and to all of us who have to retake)!
Just for others' info, here's what I found out about Wisconsin's policies - They don't require a temporary license until the second year, and Step 2 must be passed before the end of the FIRST YEAR of residency.

YOU WILL PASS Next TIME!

You should contact the PD of the prelim year, because you will likely not be able to start on July 1st as licensing and paperwork after getting the M.D. takes a couple of weeks at the least in some states. PDs can hire whenever they want for residency positions if open, as far as I can tell, so they could hire you at a later date, like the end of July and have you start then, and if you complete all of the required blocks, sans vacation, then you are ok. If you don't tell them, and they realize that your paperwork is late and can't start on july 1 then this messes up everybody's schedule on the prelim. Advanced warning here is good for everybody involved.

I matched into prelim surgery and then anesthesiology. I just found out I failed step 2 CS. I talked to the anesthesiology program director (who I know well) who said they will keep my spot as long as I have a license and finish my intership without a problem. I am worried about keeping my internship. I have already signed up to take the CS again. Any advice please?

Hi,
do you have any updates for us?
when do you plan on taking the cs?
btw that fee alone can be such a PIA !!