Mar 16, 2012
WestCoast
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi everyone
I posted something similar a while ago but it would be nice to hear new opinions.
So basically I have hospital volunteering exp in neurology dept, neuroscience research, am a psych.neurosience major, and am thinking of starting a neuro club.
That is not to say I dont have other interests. I do other things too of course lol
Do you think this is too much? Clearly my passion lies in neuroscience and I plan on pursuing this field but can this come off as being narrowminded?

Jun 6, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi everyone
I posted something similar a while ago but it would be nice to hear new opinions.
So basically I have hospital volunteering exp in neurology dept, neuroscience research, am a psych.neurosience major, and am thinking of starting a neuro club.
That is not to say I dont have other interests. I do other things too of course lol
Do you think this is too much? Clearly my passion lies in neuroscience and I plan on pursuing this field but can this come off as being narrowminded?
Just ask ants under a magnifying glass if too much focus is a bad thing :D

I would just make sure you have some other stuff besides neuro work, but I don't think there is such a thing as delving too deeply in to a field as an undergrad. That's why we have undergrad education, so you can explore your interests as much as you want. I would just shadow some other kinds of doctors (not neurosurgeons or neurologists) and maybe volunteer in something more general, but you should be just fine with that.

Also, before starting a neuroscience club, what exactly is the point of any undergraduate club? I think people who want to know about a scientific field will find out about it on their own initiative (this doesn't apply to fields where there are job interviews to be had, like actuarial, engineering, business, etc.). Seems to me like most pre-health clubs just get together to eat pizza and stroke their own egos rather than do anything productive.

You're not narrowminded, don't be so NEUROtic, jk jk! :laugh:

OP
Neuronette
Mar 16, 2012
WestCoast
Status
Pre-Medical
Just ask ants under a magnifying glass if too much focus is a bad thing :D

I would just make sure you have some other stuff besides neuro work, but I don't think there is such a thing as delving too deeply in to a field as an undergrad. That's why we have undergrad education, so you can explore your interests as much as you want. I would just shadow some other kinds of doctors (not neurosurgeons or neurologists) and maybe volunteer in something more general, but you should be just fine with that.

Also, before starting a neuroscience club, what exactly is the point of any undergraduate club? I think people who want to know about a scientific field will find out about it on their own initiative (this doesn't apply to fields where there are job interviews to be had, like actuarial, engineering, business, etc.). Seems to me like most pre-health clubs just get together to eat pizza and stroke their own egos rather than do anything productive.

You're not narrowminded, don't be so NEUROtic, jk jk! :laugh:
Thanks! I think SDN is making me NEUROtic LOL
All kidding aside, I think I will start to shadow other kinds of doctors too. Maybe primary care ones or something. As for the neuro club, I want to organize activities that the group can do (volunteering, tutoring kids about neuroscience/brain! lol) and maybe even invite speakers since there is a lot of great research happening at my school and even institutions nearby.... The run-of-the-mill pre-health, pre-med, pre-mental, AMSA etc aren't productive at all. Agreed.