can u apply prelim IM and categorical IM to the same hospital?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amherstguy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
?is this possible or is it sketchy?

Members don't see this ad.

would cancelling the prelim and applying to the regular categorical IM at the same hospital raise a red flag?

Members don't see this ad :)
would cancelling the prelim and applying to the regular categorical IM at the same hospital raise a red flag?

What do you want? Prelim or Cat? Apply to one or the other. If you're using Categorical as a backup, just rank the prelim at the end of your Cat list and ask for a Cat spot if you match. If you've changed your mind about IM vs something else, just contact the program and tell them you'd prefer to be considered for the Cat program.

Last edited:
If you're using Categorical as a backup, just rank the prelim at the end of your Cat list and ask for a Cat spot if you match.

Although you are welcome to request this, there is no guarantee that it will happen. Someone else would need to drop out of the residency program to make it possible.

So is it a good idea to apply to both Prelim and Cat to a program and how is that work for the interview? How would that be seen? I was in the notion that if prelim doesn't work then you still have another opportunity for the categorical but I don't know how the PD see it. I would appreciate your advice.

thank you.

On the Mayo website it indicates that you may apply to the Prelim and a non-categorical IM program as well. I suppose this means that you are not welcome to apply to both prelim AND categorical IM there. I don't know about other programs or what the reasoning is behind this.

So is it a good idea to apply to both Prelim and Cat to a program and how is that work for the interview? How would that be seen? I was in the notion that if prelim doesn't work then you still have another opportunity for the categorical but I don't know how the PD see it. I would appreciate your advice.

thank you.

In general, no. I can think of several reasons you might want to do this:

1. You think you are not very competitive for a categorical IM spot, so you hope they'll take you as a prelim, you can prove your worth, and then maybe they'll give you a categorical spot. This plan has several problems. First, many prelim programs are more competitive then the categorical program. Second, there is no guarantee that the program will have an open PGY-2 spot when you need it. Third, if they do have an open PGY-2 spot, if other people have done the same thing you'd be competing against other PGY-1's in your program for the PGY-2 spot. This makes for a very uncomfortable situation, as you try to "outshine" your colleagues and can make for a miserable PGY-1.

2. You think you are very competitive for an advanced match, but worry that you won't get a prelim. So, you figure you'll apply to categorical medicine also, and can always drop out after 1 year to do your advanced program. This is a really bad idea, since it won't work. The NRMP match will not let you rank categorical positions on your supplemental lists, so if you match into an advanced program only prelim and TY's will be an option.

3. You worry that you are not competitive for an advanced position, so you plan to apply to categorical medicine as a backup. But, if you do happen to match, then you need a prelim year. This is the situation that makes the most sense. Still, you need to be careful. IM PD's don't want to match people who are not committed to IM -- should you match IM in this case, would you consider trying to rematch in derm/rads/etc the next year? That leaves your PD (and you) with a big problem. Do I wait until match day to try to find someone to fill your spot?

Best option is to apply to some programs for Cat, and some others for prelim. more work, more money, more travel. But safer.

I appreciate your advice. Thank you sir.