can u practice overseas after residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chef

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
every yr thousands of foreign mds come here to practice for the rest of their careers. what about us docs going overseas? does this happen at all? what if u want to live/practice in europe, or asia?

Members don't see this ad.

Most foreign countries have very strict regulations regarding non native physicians working in their country.If you are highly motivated,are fluent in the language,have a compelling reason to be there,are ready to pass their tests and possibly repeat years of training it can be done.In reality it happens infrequently as physicians in most places are paid far lower salaries than the US and occupy a lower socioeconomic status.Thats why foreign docs come here in such large numbers in the first place!

Agree with previous poster.

I've been looking to go overseas following residency, as my wife is from overseas. Having looked quite extensively at it, I can say the process is VERY long and just like many foreign trained attendings repeat residencies here - It would be quite common to wait several years for an assessment and recognition of qualifications, which often indicate a need to repeat a couple of years of training.

Personally, I have no problem with this, as there is a lot of beaurocracy in medicine and the way health care is given in a particular country goes beyond how one treats an MI or performs a Lap Chole.

One thing to consider, financially, you will still have to pay the med school debt. The US $$$ is doing quite well, and the exchange would be something to consider. In addition, physicians/surgeons make considerably more here (in general) than most other countries. Not to mention we have one of the lowest income tax in the Western world.

Look at our closest neigbor Canada - The exchange is like 0.65-0.70 - The tax is higher and the salaray is lower. If a General surgeon made CAN$150,000 - pays 45% tax (now ~CAN$85k) then take out say US$1500 for student loans (CAN$2200 x 12 = ~CAN$27k) - this leaves you with CAN$48k/yr. Sure enough to live fine with. But something to think about in the "overall plan".

In short, if you really are thinking of going overseas post residency, it is best to know earlier than later and you can take your interested countries licensing exams at the same time you are studying for your Step III.

Best of luck,

Airborne

Oh yes - one more small thing - only the MD is recognized overseas. The DO is not (no offense intended!).