1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

can u talk about work u did for your parents in the essay on "work experience"?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by coralfangs, Aug 7, 2006.

1. coralfangs

coralfangs Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

those essays that ask you about your work experiences

all the other works i did were not significant/long term, enough
    2 months as a summer soccer camp counselor, 1 month as an assistant to some local small-time band promoter (mostly just call places, pickup/deliveries, check out gigs, etc), 1 month as a retail sales associate at GAP, etc (nothing mentionable on the EC section)

well, i also didn't mention this in my EC section but long story short
    mom was a doctor back in homeland, but they had 1yr chinese medicine in their curriculum
    very hard to get licensed in canada due to age (well, 40) and language barrier
    after parents divorced, she decided to open up a chinese acupuncture/massage therapy place here in toronto, she's been quite popular
    but i don't want to see her work so hard (who does, seriously) especially when she doesn't need the money given the divorce settlement, so i asked her not to have more than 4 appointments a day (1hr each),
    well, lots of people still want her services because they are in pain (muscle ache, back pain, headache, etc) and their family docs are unable to help them (we have some incompetent docs in our neighborhood)
    eg. this construction worker who had serious shoulder pain was told by his family doc that he has a heart condition, he didn't believe he had a heart disease so he came to my mom, it turned out there was simply some problems with the muscle in that area, he recovered

she's also quite happy with the shop too cuz she loves to help ppl (hence she went into medicine in her homecountry at first place, they have **** pays for doctors)
    there's no way she's giving up even i asked her to take a rest
    so i asked to help her on sat
    i mean, when she needs to do massages and ****, i can do it in place of her
    all she has to do is to tell me where to press or something
    well, i did learn quite a bit on the muscle and nervous system
    but what i really learn from this experience is that you gotta be extra careful when diagnosing, (take that construction worker for example, if u consider his line of work, you could've guessed that his pain was actually shoulder pain, etc), so it's not just about the "internal" factors but it's important to consider the "external" factors
    you just can't believe how much "detail" a family doc can miss sometimes

u see why i wanted to include that in the essay
    but then it's not really "paid-employment" though

any opinions?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. undrcovrgunner

undrcovrgunner Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Employment experiences are often used to increase the diversity of one's med school application and also give the adcom some idea of your ability to work with others. It sounds like this experience meant a lot to you and I feel that the skills you gained are medically relevant. I would add this EC into your employment section and possibly mention how you helped with a family business. I don't really see this going into the volunteer experience and I wouldn't want to list this as clinical/shadowing as your verifier would be a close relative.

4. AggieJohn

AggieJohn Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student

I can't decide... is this a joke?

If not... you are quite long winded :eek:

5. DrZaius

DrZaius Member
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    im surprised u only got a 10 on verbal~

6. ParvatiP

ParvatiP Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I would mention it, if you put in significant hours (you didn't really say).

7. coralfangs

coralfangs Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

haha, i was talking to my friend on msn about this too, he told me to tell him the whole story, anyhoo, i simply copied and pasted into the forum
    hence the long-winded post

yes i am not joking
    but then even i get paid, it still seems like a form of allowance
    u know what im saying

it's around 4-6 hours a week on every sat since 2003 except holidays/family vacations
    well, i guess i would mention it on my essay even though i didn't list it in my EC