Can USIMGS become active duty military physicians?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

robgarcia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If USIMGS (U.S. international medical graduates) are board elegible or board certified, can they become full military physicians in active duty?
Can they do their residency in the military? Can they enter the military with a specialty?

I'm interested in aerospace medicine,pediatrics,Neurology or internal medicine(w/ peds or IM I would like to do a fellowship in hema/oncology if possible)

What is the process for a U.S. citizen that graduated abroad to become a military physician? like any normal USIMG? get board certified with ECFMG and that's it?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

When I talked with the Navy, if you are board eligible to practice in the United States, they'll take you.

The only stipulation they have about persons who completed medical school outside of the United States is that they won't allow it to be covered by HPSP programs.

Though I'm not sure if you need to have participated in a U.S. residency or not, I believe you need to hold a valid board certification in the U.S.

I'm pretty sure you have the process right, though you should double check with the medical recruiter in your area, as they will have the most complete information on what to do.

Hope that helps!