Can we get accepted into any med school while working on our Master degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

horo1988

Aggie FTW!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,
Yes, I"m just a junior at UC Davis and planning to apply to medical schools after my B.S graduation.

Okay, it is very clear that getting into a CA medical school is REALLY tough. I want to set up a backup plan. I 'd like to obtain a master degree in Biotechnology since I'm majoring in Biotechnology (B.S) at UC Davis.

I wonder what would happen to me if I got accepted into a medical school while working on the Master degree? Would it be possible for one to be accepted like that? If I chose to go to the medical school, could I postpone the progress of the Master degree?

Members don't see this ad.

yes, just make sure you let the masters program know that you are applying to med school. If the med school contacts your masters program and finds out they have no idea you wanted to be a doctor, thats a big downer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello guys,
Yes, I"m just a junior at UC Davis and planning to apply to medical schools after my B.S graduation.

Okay, it is very clear that getting into a CA medical school is REALLY tough. I want to set up a backup plan. I 'd like to obtain a master degree in Biotechnology since I'm majoring in Biotechnology (B.S) at UC Davis.

I wonder what would happen to me if I got accepted into a medical school while working on the Master degree? Would it be possible for one to be accepted like that? If I chose to go to the medical school, could I postpone the progress of the Master degree?
Do not start a graduate program that you have no intention of completing. In other words, if you start an MS program, you should not leave for medical school without finishing the MS degree. However, you can go ahead and apply to medical school during the last year of your MS. As long as you will graduate before your medical school's matriculation date, there will be no problem with still being enrolled in grad school while you apply. Be aware that someone from your graduate school will likely need to confirm that you will graduate on time if you are doing a research MS. In my case, my PI gave my expected graduation date in his LOR so that there would be no uncertainty on this point. If you are doing a non-thesis MS, your graduation date will be fixed, and this will not be an issue for you. Best of luck. :)

I was told at a reapplicant workshop that the medical school would not pull applicants who were currently in a graduate level program unless they were going to graduate before medical school started. I dont know if thats all medical school but thats what the University of Oklahoma said.