Can we please settle this?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Tweetie_bird, Oct 17, 2002.

1. Tweetie_bird

So, U Pitt is asking me for a list of classes that suffices their requirements. They are asking for 12 credits in Biology. I am a Bio major that totally messed up in my first elementary Bio series (we're talking 2.1's). However, in my later years, I have done reasonably well (3.7 and above). is it okay if I include my UPPER LEVEL BIO classes to suffice their requirements or do they want to see that I have taken the elementary classes also?

Or should I just be on the same side and include my elem. series AND upper level Bio series classes to show that I have an upward trend? What do you say?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. lola

lola Bovine Member

they asked for 12 credits? hmm... don't remember that. thought it was 8 or something. i only filled in the minimum for each listing. so, even though i had loads of chem courses i only put in the intro ones. i dunno... there's nothing wrong with putting just your upper level bio i don't think (as long as they have the required labs -- my problem with the upper level classes), but i'm not really sure they're using it for anything but to see that you've taken them.

anyway, sorry i'm not answering your question very well :(

4. gower

gower 1K Member

At this point, they are only asking for 3 courses that meet the requirement. That would be the first year plus one elective.

They will look at your entire science record before making a decision whether or not to interview you. Improvement is good.

5. tBw

tBw totally deluded

Hum, I also only remember the app asking for 8 credits - and the web site only specifies 1 year. Frankly I don't think it matters as long as you can put 8 (12?) cerdits down of something that is bio and which had lab.

6. cabruen

Resident [Any Field]
    Tweetie, I would list whatever classes you want that make you look best as long as they meet the requirement. I vote for the upper level ones.

7. Tweetie_bird

guys,
    Thanks so much for the answers! I think just for the Bio part, I am putting down upper and lower level classes to show them an upward trend specifically in my Bio series.

btw: don't fret about the credit issues. 12 quarter credits = 8 semsester credits. I was on a quarter system but I"m listing both Semester credits and quarter credits because there's enough room.

8. dpark74

dpark74 Senior Member

I think tweetie meant that they require 12 quarter hours which translates into 8 semester hours.

9. tBw

tBw totally deluded

great! now...get that secondary FINISHED and submitted :)

10. GoodMonkey

GoodMonkey sproutmobile

Resident [Any Field]
    i wondered about the same thing... i came to the conclusion that they're going to see my transcripts anyway, and they know i'm a bio major, so have obviously either taken or AP'ed or whatever out of the intro classes. in the end, i put down mainly the upper level ones. but i agree w/the "as long as it's bio and it has a lab" sentiment expressed earlier. :)