Can we register for Step III in any state (and practice somewhere else?)

Sep 13, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hi,
I know this question has probably been asked many times before, but the latest post I found about this was from 2008, and I want to verify that this is still true.

I am an intern in TN, which requires you finish intern year before taking the Step 3. However, I've heard that I can register for the Step 3 in any state and take it in any state. What I'm wondering is, can I still moonlight in TN after I take the Step 3? It doesn't make sense to me that certain states would have restrictions on when you can take it during residency, but you can still take it in any state and be able to practice in the very state that imposed the restrictions. Isn't this a giant loophole? Why have different restrictions if it's so easily bypassed?

Anyone who can verify what I just asked?

Thanks!

OP
L
Sep 13, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Can someone please answer my question? It'll take like 5 seconds. The reason I'm asking is because even after reading the info online, there's nothing that clarifies my question. It's like a giant loophole that has not been addressed.

Methodnike

Family Physician
10+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2006
Greater Cincinnati area
Status
Attending Physician
Can someone please answer my question? It'll take like 5 seconds. The reason I'm asking is because even after reading the info online, there's nothing that clarifies my question. It's like a giant loophole that has not been addressed.
yes you can register in one state, do the exam in another, and practice in a 3rd state. YES

ilovepath

Y
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2006
Status
Medical Student
lp, I emailed the fsmb many times about this. There answer to me was there are no restrictions, you can register in any state. I encourage you to email the fsmb and get a concrete answer, and confirm with this forum that this is correct, as my experience with large institutions is individual members may or may not give you the correct answer, I always try to get an answer from a couple different members, which is why I'm interested in you posting your answer from the fsmb confirming that what they told me is correct.

babycapybara

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2006
Status
Medical Student
If I want to bypass the waiting requirement of one state - I know I need to register in another state. Does that mean I need to take the exam in the state I registered in, or have an address in that state? What does registering in that state mean exactly?
Thanks.

babycapybara

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2006
Status
Medical Student
oh..just saw a thread with the answers to my questions below...sorry!