Can we take courses under pre-med requirements Pass/Fail?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prizzi

EyesOnMe
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering about this since on one of the secondaries, they ask us to put 2 courses for social sciences. I took two but one of them was Pass/Fail. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Prizzi said:
I'm just wondering about this since on one of the secondaries, they ask us to put 2 courses for social sciences. I took two but one of them was Pass/Fail. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

As far as I know, you can't take any of the required prereqs as pass/fail (i.e. things like chemistry, physics, etc.) If there are specific schools you're interested in, I would ask them about their policy. Other, 'recommended' courses are just that, recommended, not required. You don't even have to take them, so presumably taking one pass/fail would not be a problem.

drjewel said:
As far as I know, you can't take any of the required prereqs as pass/fail (i.e. things like chemistry, physics, etc.) If there are specific schools you're interested in, I would ask them about their policy. Other, 'recommended' courses are just that, recommended, not required. You don't even have to take them, so presumably taking one pass/fail would not be a problem.

Agreed -- you cannot take any prereqs P/F. Anything else is fair game, but I wouldn't do too many and not more than one ever couple of semesters, as it doesn't look challenging.

If you have the option to take the coursework for grades, do it. It *is* possible to take all of your courses P/F (my entire college was like that), but it definitely makes your life a lot harder when application time comes.