Can we use TBR 2011 books for new mcat2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wohs123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, I wanted to know if the 2011 TBR books the same as the one for 2015 mcat. I would like t save money and actually went on their site and it shows the same layout as the 2011 books I have. Can anyone shine light on this matter, I would really appreciate it. I would like to ascertain if I need to buy the new biology book from them or the 2011 edition I have will suffice. Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I am using the TBR 2011 to supplement Bio/Biochem. I think you should be fine using it for those subjects, but using TBR for Physics/Chem is probably not worth the time as you can use EK for GChem, and Kaplan for Orgo. EK only contains like 1 chapter for orgo.......... It is important to not leave orgo out as you can get 1-2 passages on orgo alone on test day.

I am using the TBR 2011 to supplement Bio/Biochem. I think you should be fine using it for those subjects, but using TBR for Physics/Chem is probably not worth the time as you can use EK for GChem, and Kaplan for Orgo. EK only contains like 1 chapter for orgo.......... It is important to not leave orgo out as you can get 1-2 passages on orgo alone on test day.
If you don't mind me asking, what do you mean by "not worth the time"?

Members don't see this ad :)

I mean that unless you have not taking Gchem, physics, orgo for very long, it may not be "worth it" to use TBR books for those subjects. If you are taking all the time in world to take the MCAT (6 months) then by all means go ahead. I have also heard that doing the TBR physics passages weren't helpful on test day since that time can be spent on another subject such as CARS. If you don't remember any physics or the concepts, then go ahead. It all depends on the person, and what their strengths and weaknesses are. I personally wouldn't use TBR for those three subjects as the content is way too thorough for me as I did really well in all my pre-reqs.

Also, what is your prep material if you don't mind me asking? Is using TBR for the PS section worth it or representative of the real thing or the FLs? Im just here to give my thoughts and receive feedback. Everything I say should be taken from my perspective. I am not claiming that it is right or wrong. People score 40+ studying for a month or less.....

Also, what is your prep material if you don't mind me asking? Is using TBR for the PS section worth it or representative of the real thing or the FLs? Im just here to give my thoughts and receive feedback. Everything I say should be taken from my perspective. I am not claiming that it is right or wrong. People score 40+ studying for a month or less.....
Okay I see what you mean. My prep material include TBR, EK 101, and some TPR.

To be honest, I am not sure. I bought it around 9 months ago, before the 2015 MCAT came out. I will probably get their new edition once I'm done reviewing.

Sir Zaitsev, if you haven't actually worked through the BR books or have taken the MCAT, then it might be a but premature to deem them as "probably not worth the time". You are just starting your prep, so now is the time to discover for yourself if they are "too thorough" for you. You might just discover that the interesting examples are perfect for developing the thinking skills needed for the MCAT. You may find the shortcuts to be brilliant and useful for saving time. You may appreciate the answer explanations that teach test-taking skills as well as the material. The books are not "long" just for the sake of being long. There are some great insights buried in them and each subject book addresses crossover material (which MCAT tests seem to love). The reality is that for some people, the large number of examples and applications is more than they want to work through. But for many others, that is exactly what they need. And the shortcuts and strategies are invaluable, which is what people who rave about them come to learn.

If you choose not to use them for yourself, then no problem and hopefully what you choose fits your style. But this forum is best served when opinions are shared based on personal experiences. I hope this isn't offensive, but as someone who absolutely loves the way BR books are written (and I'm biased from time both in a seat in the class as well as in front of the class), reading non-experienced based criticism hurts a little.

Sir Zaitsev, if you haven't actually worked through the BR books or have taken the MCAT, then it might be a but premature to deem them as "probably not worth the time". You are just starting your prep, so now is the time to discover for yourself if they are "too thorough" for you. You might just discover that the interesting examples are perfect for developing the thinking skills needed for the MCAT. You may find the shortcuts to be brilliant and useful for saving time. You may appreciate the answer explanations that teach test-taking skills as well as the material. The books are not "long" just for the sake of being long. There are some great insights buried in them and each subject book addresses crossover material (which MCAT tests seem to love). The reality is that for some people, the large number of examples and applications is more than they want to work through. But for many others, that is exactly what they need. And the shortcuts and strategies are invaluable, which is what people who rave about them come to learn.

If you choose not to use them for yourself, then no problem and hopefully what you choose fits your style. But this forum is best served when opinions are shared based on personal experiences. I hope this isn't offensive, but as someone who absolutely loves the way BR books are written (and I'm biased from time both in a seat in the class as well as in front of the class), reading non-experienced based criticism hurts a little.

Well you are correct in the sense that I am casting judgment when I have not opened up my physics and chemistry TBR books. Yes, you are correct. However, I do enjoy using the Biology I & II books. They seem to work great along with other books. Like I said above in the thread, "this is my opinion, and it should be taken as that." My mates, and others on here have told me not to use the physics, organic, and chemistry books for the new test unless they really want to know the minutia or haven't taken those classes. I was just giving my 0.02$, and if I hurt anyone, I am sorry.

Thanks for responding. The problem is that just as you are assuming your mates have used the books and are offering an opinion based on experience, others reading your posts may think so as well. What's funny is that the Biology books you like (and are using) actually get more criticism than the physics, general chem or org books. The books that lead to the best scores (and get the best feedback) are actually our general chemistry and physics books. This has continued in 2015 as well. That's because they emphasize test taking tricks (which is what makes them so long).

Click on this thread, and you'll see an example of three tricks found in the books. These tricks are presented and then hammered home with several examples. While this makes the books longer, it's what makes them so useful. My point is that you should give them a chance. If you use them and don't like them, then so be it. But if you actually use them, then you may be pleasantly surprised to learn how great they are, especially if you feel so confident in the subject matter.

Thanks for all the replies, this really helped. @BerkReviewTeach do you believe the bio passages are representative of the new mcat exam? the consensus here(sdn) states that it is heavily experimental based and deals with a lot of biochemistry and data interpretation.. when ever you have time please respond... thank you for your time

Thanks for responding. The problem is that just as you are assuming your mates have used the books and are offering an opinion based on experience, others reading your posts may think so as well. What's funny is that the Biology books you like (and are using) actually get more criticism than the physics, general chem or org books. The books that lead to the best scores (and get the best feedback) are actually our general chemistry and physics books. This has continued in 2015 as well. That's because they emphasize test taking tricks (which is what makes them so long).

Click on this thread, and you'll see an example of three tricks found in the books. These tricks are presented and then hammered home with several examples. While this makes the books longer, it's what makes them so useful. My point is that you should give them a chance. If you use them and don't like them, then so be it. But if you actually use them, then you may be pleasantly surprised to learn how great they are, especially if you feel so confident in the subject matter.

Thanks again for responding, I will definitely give them a try. It won't hurt since I have until 4-5 months.