Can you allude to other essays in your personal statement?

• Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!

BlueScar

2+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I want to expand greatly on one of my experiences without going off topic in the personal statment. Instead, should I say" I will talk more about this in another essay", or something in the like?

longhaul3

5+ Year Member
Feb 29, 2016
I say no. If the experience is critical to your interest in and candidacy for medicine, include it in the personal statement. If not, we (readers) can find out about it in the experiences section. I have a relatively consistent way of reviewing applications before the interview and would not be inclined to go read the other essay as directed in a personal statement.

I applaud your commitment to staying on topic and being concise. It is very hard to write concisely, and I am always impressed with applicants who are strong writers. This is a change of perspective I had after I used to be disappointed in applicants who are weaker writers, which over time I came to realize are the majority.

D

deleted947265

No. No offense, but " will talk more about this in another essay" is just tacky. You can talk about one of your experiences briefly in a sentence or two in your PS. You've got 500-700 words so you need to make them count. You don't know what a school's secondary prompts are going to be. It just doesn't belong.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

MedSchoolTutors

Top MCAT/USMLE/COMLEX Tutors Answer Your Questions
Vendor
2+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2019
www.medschooltutors.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
  2. Resident [Any Field]
  3. Attending Physician
Try and keep the personal statement independent of references to the rest of your application. If it's core to your identity that will come across if a large portion of both are dedicated to it. For example, EMS was core to my identity and was all over both my PS and AMCAS. Because it was, I didn't have to break the fourth wall and tell them it was important, they knew.

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
I want to expand greatly on one of my experiences without going off topic in the personal statment. Instead, should I say" I will talk more about this in another essay", or something in the like?
And if don't get a secondary, and thus don't have a chance to refer to those essays,????????

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.