Can you answer my questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

PB

Hi,
I know we've talked about transferring from foreign schools quite a bit on this board, but what do you think the chances are of transferring from a foreign school (such as Ben Gurion Univ. of the Negev in Israel, Univ. de Guadalajara, Charles University in Prague) to a school such as Ponce? I know that Ponce and Finch are on the lower end of the medical school rankings in the U.S., but to be able to graduate from a U.S. school would remove a lot of the hurdles that would have to be overcome graduating from a foreign school (not that they can't be overcome though!).
Also, does anyone know if I should apply to U.S. schools this year (for fall 2001) if I'm going to start medical school at a foreign school this fall, or do I have to wait until I actually complete the first year? Do most of the first year classes transfer over, too?
I hope there's someone who knows the answers to these questions! Thanks for all your excellent advice!
PB

Members don't see this ad.

I went to St George's and did relatively well in the time that I was there. I tried to transfer to CMS Finch but beyond an application that was promptly rejected, I had no luck. I haven't tried Ponce but on the SGU "transferred" list, there were a few students who got into Ponce, but it doesn't say when they transferred (If it occurred in the 1980s, then it really doesn't apply to us now).

I also know one guy who entered St George's in the Fall of 96 and did his AMCAS at the same time. He got into Albany and BU (went to BU eventually) and didn't' bother returning to Grenada after Xmas break. He also didn't check the box on his AMCAS that asked if he ever matriculated into a school for the MD degree. Obviously none of the courses that my buddy took in Grenada were transferred to BU.

That would be the best case scenario. To get into a US school while having the opportunity to live (not just visit, but really live there) in a third world developing nation.

------------------
My IMG Medical Residency Webpage
http://MichaelChanMD.doct.org

I was doing some checking on schools which accept foreign transfers, and when looking at Finch, I could find *no* info on transferring to advanced standing (from anywhere) on their website. Can you enlighten me, PB?

I dug up my old (rejected) transfer application to CMS/Finch. It was for the Fall of 98 into their third year class from St George's. They required all basic science course to be completed and preference was to be given to applicants who have passed Step 1. They also accept applications for their second year class. If you previously applied for advanced placing, you can choose to reactivate your previous application.

Some info, they didn't state that they rejected me because I was at a foreign school. They said it was because they had no openings in their third year class.

Maybe they didn't bother putting up info on their transfer policies on their webpage. Or maybe they just don't take transfers anymore (which I highly doubt since that means they'll loose the $30k/year of that one vacant seat).
smile.gif