Can you answer these questions about UNE dental?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PocketRocket

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! So I am applying this cycle and, given that I have a taken a gap year already, I wouldn't want to waste my time not getting in anywhere. Therefore, I'm going to be applying broadly to the point where one might consider it to be an overkill. I already have about 16 schools on my list and now am considering UNE but I can't find much info on it since its a new school.

My stats, 3.45, 3.3s, DAT 22,22,23PAT, other stuff are fine

1) Given that it's a new program without passrates , how high of a risk is it, if any, attending the school?
2) Specializing opportunity after?
3) How is the patient load for the clinical years?
4) Area? I enjoy the outdoors so I love Maine in that sense. But, is there much to do for the younger crowd?

Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Just to answer #4...go to Google Maps and look at where UNE is. In the middle of nowhere at the edge of the state bordering the ocean. Also I very much believe that 16 is overkill for your stats. 12 is overkill for your stats. Possibly even 10.

Reactions: 1 user
You should post this in the Dental forum. I think more dental students are there and you can probably get better answers. Here it's mostly pre-dents

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I probably won't be of too much help, but I did have an interview there last cycle. If I hadn't gotten in to one of my state schools, it would have been a top choice.

It is a very new school, so there is definitely some risk attending, but the administration seemed wonderful. Most came from other dental schools in the area such as Tufts and BU and seemed to know exactly what they were doing and what they wanted for the school. It will obviously have many kinks to work out, but it seemed to be in good hands and headed in the right direction.

Can't speak much for #2 and #3, but for #4 I wouldn't be worried. Portland was a really cool town and had a lot of of stuff to do, especially if you enjoy the outdoors. Boston isn't too far away either.

Reactions: 1 user
I probably won't be of too much help, but I did have an interview there last cycle. If I hadn't gotten in to one of my state schools, it would have been a top choice.

It is a very new school, so there is definitely some risk attending, but the administration seemed wonderful. Most came from other dental schools in the area such as Tufts and BU and seemed to know exactly what they were doing and what they wanted for the school. It will obviously have many kinks to work out, but it seemed to be in good hands and headed in the right direction.

Can't speak much for #2 and #3, but for #4 I wouldn't be worried. Portland was a really cool town and had a lot of of stuff to do, especially if you enjoy the outdoors. Boston isn't too far away either.

Are you from TX? UNE is one of my top choices right now but I'm a bit worried about the preference for NE students!!

Are you from TX? UNE is one of my top choices right now but I'm a bit worried about the preference for NE students!!

Nah I'm from the east coast. What makes it one of your top choices if you don't mind me asking?

Nah I'm from the east coast. What makes it one of your top choices if you don't mind me asking?

It's in a smaller town....I know, silly, but I'm a small town kid. I haven't done any real research into actual programs or anything like that yet so maybe when I do I won't like it, but for now my list is based on locations. I will likely end up practicing in a small town too. I'm not applying until next year. Ideally I'll get into my in-state and live at home to save costs, after that, I'm focusing on schools in smaller towns and/or places where I can live inexpensively or have friends/family that have offered to let me live with them. I have no desire to live in NYC or Detroit, although I would consider living in the DC area if that were an option for me. I'd really like a dental school in Wyoming or Montana :). MOSDOH is up there on my list too, but the cost is a bit scary.

ajj70, I understand what you mean. But I think getting a good patient load in your clinical years is paramount in making you a more efficient doctor. I work for an office and we had a newly grad come in and try to work for us for one day. On top of dental school the person also did a residency where they saw about 6 patients a day. In our office, on that day she was supposed to do about 2 RCT, 5 fillings, and like 5 exams. She was stuck on the RCT for 2 hours. Other patients got annoyed of waiting and just stood up and left.

But I guess going to a school in the middle of no where is good if you are looking to practice in that kind of setting with smaller patient loads. Just my 2cents

I interviewed there last year and I hated it. They didn't seem to have many things together (like their externship program), they make you dress professionally ALL the time (even in clinic) so no scrubs, and I like the idea of vacationing in Maine, not living there. Besides which I want to specialize, and une doesn't seem like the school at all to do that. But when I went on interview, most interviewees were out of state. We had Texas, Utah, Canada... Stuff like that.

What are the pre-reqs? Specifically Anatomy. On the ADEA guide it says anatomy is recommended and not required but on UNE's website it says 4 hours of human anatomy is required. If it is required does anyone know if a comparative anatomy course will fulfill that requirement?