DeezNutzonUrChin

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jul 16, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I applied really early with mediocre stats.

Can I appeal the rejections with a higher MCAT score I hope to achieve within a month or two?

OrdinaryDO

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2011
Status
Medical Student
There is no way to appeal a rejection. Most schools will have an option on the secondary application to show that you have a new MCAT score coming in the near future. Some schools will ask for the approximate date and some will just say to update them when you get the score. However, I have never heard of someone having their rejection rescinded like you are asking about.

Reactions: Goro
OP
D

DeezNutzonUrChin

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jul 16, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
There is no way to appeal a rejection. Most schools will have an option on the secondary application to show that you have a new MCAT score coming in the near future. Some schools will ask for the approximate date and some will just say to update them when you get the score. However, I have never heard of someone having their rejection rescinded like you are asking about.
I indicated it on my secondary if available and on my primary, they didnt seem to care lol

OrdinaryDO

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2011
Status
Medical Student
I indicated it on my secondary if available and on my primary, they didnt seem to care lol
Then I would venture to guess that your MCAT isn't what sunk your application with those specific schools. MCAT is a very small part of the whole application, albeit it does weigh pretty heavily at some institutions.

ortnakas

DO PGY-2
5+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
This happened to me at one school a few years ago. They don't have to care.

I wouldn't bother appealing, but it's worth politelyasking for feedback on your application and/or suggestions for improvement. They might let you know an area of weakness you're not currently aware of. And even if they don't-- they can't double-reject you, so as long as you're professional about it, worst they can say is no.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
OP
D

DeezNutzonUrChin

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jul 16, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
what were your stats If you don't mind sharing?
3.39 cGPA, 3.12 sGPA, 26 MCAT, and 497. was when I applied,

I did update my stats /have them verified last week so I am now a 3.2 sGPA, MCATS are the same, and my overall gpa somehow went from 3.39 to 3.38 even though I got solid A's lol.

OP
D

DeezNutzonUrChin

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jul 16, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
You can offer to provide more info, but from experience once your app is rejected it's over, even if it was their mistake.
Yep listed in my comment below, I was just curious, because one of the rejections did say if your scores etc do improve please let us know and we will consider you. I think it was west Virginia or someone. I was curious if it applied to other schools.

parpar2222

2+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2016
Status
Medical Student

I did update my stats /have them verified last week so I am now a 3.2 sGPA, MCATS are the same, and my overall gpa somehow went from 3.39 to 3.38 even though I got solid A's lol.

see I have similar stats to you, 3.27 cGPA and 3.18 sGPA, but a 507 mcat. I am super scared of being rejected cause of my low gpa. I will add though that I am doing an MPH In Biostats (3.83 current gpa). idk where I stand though :/ this is ridiculous cause I wish it weren't a numbers game.

kj8210

7+ Year Member
May 15, 2012
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
What school(s) was it? You sent in a secondary and they replied with a rejection? Often time I feel that if you are given a secondary then you have a decent chance or at least dont flat out reject you right away. Weird.

OP
D

DeezNutzonUrChin

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jul 16, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
What school(s) was it? You sent in a secondary and they replied with a rejection? Often time I feel that if you are given a secondary then you have a decent chance or at least dont flat out reject you right away. Weird.
RVU-Colorado, I do have to disagree with the secondary part though. The secondary just checks to see you have the minimum requirements, its usually automated (I get some at like 2 am in the morning lol). Someone with a 24 MCAT or higher and like a 2.8 GPA is going to get secondaries at some schools like vcom etc.

OP
D

DeezNutzonUrChin

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jul 16, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
see I have similar stats to you, 3.27 cGPA and 3.18 sGPA, but a 507 mcat. I am super scared of being rejected cause of my low gpa. I will add though that I am doing an MPH In Biostats (3.83 current gpa). idk where I stand though :/ this is ridiculous cause I wish it weren't a numbers game.
508 MCAT is currently considered a 30 on the previous MCAT scale. Your GPAS are also high enough, its my MCAT currently holding me back, and my new MCAT wasnt hot either. I still am yet to finish studying psych. I believe you have a good chance somewhere.

parpar2222

2+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2016
Status
Medical Student
RVU-Colorado, I do have to disagree with the secondary part though. The secondary just checks to see you have the minimum requirements, its usually automated (I get some at like 2 am in the morning lol). Someone with a 24 MCAT or higher and like a 2.8 GPA is going to get secondaries at some schools like vcom etc.

vcom is actually really picky. they said that ppl with a gpa under 3.2 are rarely accepted. hence why i didn't apply there

Alienman52

Straight from the Mothership
5+ Year Member
May 10, 2014
Status
Medical Student

This is curious. Your stats aren't absolutely horrendous....How many rejections have you received? Surely its not too many. Your GPAs are low but not low enough to warrant a slew of rejections early in the cycle. The MCAT is also very low (like a 23.8 on the old scale courtesy of efle's conversion) but even so I still don't think thats a reason to get a slew of rejections so quick unless something else is off about your app.

Maybe I'm wrong. Hm.

Apr 25, 2014
Florida
Status
Medical Student
This is curious. Your stats aren't absolutely horrendous....How many rejections have you received? Surely its not too many. Your GPAs are low but not low enough to warrant a slew of rejections early in the cycle. The MCAT is also very low (like a 23.8 on the old scale courtesy of efle's conversion) but even so I still don't think thats a reason to get a slew of rejections so quick unless something else is off about your app.

Maybe I'm wrong. Hm.
MCAT is low on top of gpa is low, both together = horrendous. Won't make the auto cutoffs at many schools these days. Need over a 3.25 & 500, which there are plenty of applicants who have. 150-300 seats for 6,000-10,000 applicants/school. Unless the OP has something magical (like a rich mommy) he's not competitive.

Reactions: Shotapp
Apr 25, 2014
Florida
Status
Medical Student
Yep listed in my comment below, I was just curious, because one of the rejections did say if your scores etc do improve please let us know and we will consider you. I think it was west Virginia or someone. I was curious if it applied to other schools.
Not many. They see your stats and most just decide it's not worth wasting their time, but they are happy taking the $$ for secondaries. Good luck

Alienman52

Straight from the Mothership
5+ Year Member
May 10, 2014
Status
Medical Student
MCAT is low on top of gpa is low, both together = horrendous. Won't make the auto cutoffs at many schools these days. Need over a 3.25 & 500, which there are plenty of applicants who have. 150-300 seats for 6,000-10,000 applicants/school. Unless the OP has something magical (like a rich mommy) he's not competitive.
I mean yeah the stats are low but mine are somewhat similar and I have 3 II's without a rejection yet. I'm thinking its just something off about his app uk..

summergirl

7+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Most people who sent in secondaries to a school are going to be flat-out rejected.

mw18

5+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2014
Status
Medical Student
When I interviewed at Georgetown I met someone who had been rejected by them that cycle, appealed it, and was interviewing. This could have only been at Georgetown because they get so many apps they reject people like crazy. They are big on you showing an interest in them. For instance, she talks for 10-15 minutes about how you have to write an essay to be considered off the waitlist. I suppose he could have been lying, but what is the benefit in telling someone you had been rejected? It was the one and only time I've ever heard of something like that.

OP
D

DeezNutzonUrChin

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jul 16, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical

Maybe I'm wrong. Hm.
Yeah definitely, I think just 2, I applied to around 36 programs.
The MCAT is low, but I would imagine the schools consider the high MCAT score being the 26

OP
D

DeezNutzonUrChin

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jul 16, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
You have a below 500 MCAT? A lot depends on how broadly one applies as well.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
I also have a 26 though. When I applied I was not expecting my May MCAT to go so poorly. I actually didnt submit my official MCAT scores in June to AACOMAS it just showed up on my app.

OP
D

DeezNutzonUrChin

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jul 16, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I mean yeah the stats are low but mine are somewhat similar and I have 3 II's without a rejection yet. I'm thinking its just something off about his app uk..
Might be the fact I wrote my essay on how I teamed up with my highschool chemistry teacher and made a methlab in his basement and moved up the chain in order to help him make money for his cancer treatment. No jk lol. I think it might be just the overall scores. I talked to goro about a retaking a D+ I got in electrical engineering freshman year that might also cause it. Most of the Post bacc courses I am taking are not getting factored into my undergrad GPA for what ever reason, its just going into a Post Bacc Category which says 4.0

OP
D

DeezNutzonUrChin

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jul 16, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
When I interviewed at Georgetown I met someone who had been rejected by them that cycle, appealed it, and was interviewing. This could have only been at Georgetown because they get so many apps they reject people like crazy. They are big on you showing an interest in them. For instance, she talks for 10-15 minutes about how you have to write an essay to be considered off the waitlist. I suppose he could have been lying, but what is the benefit in telling someone you had been rejected? It was the one and only time I've ever heard of something like that.
Congratulations on the Georgetown interview, I wasnt really talking about a full-on appeal. Like I mentioned in a comment above, West Virginia basically said if your stats improve in the application cycle let us know. I have reserved a month to officially prepare for the New MCAT, and only dedicate time to that so I am hoping for a higher score, and I would then submit that if the schools allowed it.

Ive only been rejected by like 2 schools so far so not a huge concern yet.
I also heard like a bunch of people at burrell last year appealed their app and their dean overwrote the rejection so I am curious if other schools do similar things.

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
I also have a 26 though. When I applied I was not expecting my May MCAT to go so poorly. I actually didnt submit my official MCAT scores in June to AACOMAS it just showed up on my app.
Your 497 is what did you in at RVU. They like higher scores and screen for those pre-secondary. I think you need like a 501+ to get a secondary from them.

Edit: to answer your initial question, no appealing rejections doesn't happen. Schools don't care.

OP
D

DeezNutzonUrChin

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jul 16, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Your 497 is what did you in at RVU. They like higher scores and screen for those pre-secondary. I think you need like a 501+ to get a secondary from them.

Edit: to answer your initial question, no appealing rejections doesn't happen. Schools don't care.
I actually got a secondary from them on Thursday last week, and was rejected on Wednesday, so agreed its probably the 497 MCAT score, just my psych sociology was low, the others were consistent, slightly higher than my original score.
But I also agree with who ever mentioned, many schools send secondaries for easy $

Reactions: AnatomyGrey12
OP
D

DeezNutzonUrChin

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jul 16, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
If you submitted your app prior to getting your MCAT score that may have been part of the problem.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Im curious to know why would this be so?

I had an MCAT score from a previous exam, (26).

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
Im curious to know why would this be so?

I had an MCAT score from a previous exam, (26).
Because a lot of schools don't care to wait. It would have been better to only apply to your top choices with your new score