Can You Apply EDP To DO and MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc Holliday

Enzyme Regulators, Ride!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with applying EDP (Early Decision Program) to DO and MD schools simultaneoulsy? I was wondering if this is allowed or monitored given that AMCAS and AACOMAS are separate organizations? :confused:

Just curious. Thanks in advance for your comments. - dh

Members don't see this ad.

If I am not mistaken, I think you can only apply ED to one school...DO or MD.

Applying early decision is a committment, not just a way of finding out sooner whether or not you are accepted.

I, personally, don't recommend applying ED at all unless you have some affiliation with the school and know a good bit about it. Shop around. You may be suprised what is out there.

Good luck!

Thanks, JP. I'm not planning on EDP, I was just curious.

Anyone heard any different? - dh

Members don't see this ad :)
MD schools are straight forward about the EDP. You may ONLY apply to one school through AAMCAS. But according to the MSAR 60% if EDP applicants get accepted. If you are willing to sacrifice a year before you go to med school and you know that one school in particular is it for you then, I say go ahead and apply thru EDP but make sure you have a strong application if you are going for MD.

DO schools run their EDP on a slightly different basis. BUT, don't think that you can get away with applying to MD thru EDP and then apply to DO schools and that AAMCAS won't find out. The two application services are seperate and they do not share information but I was told by the director at TUCOM that the admissions directors get together at conferences from both MD and DO schools combined and "talk" so it will be uncovered if you try to cheat the regulations.

You need to check with each DO school individually to see if they even have an EDP. It may be possible to apply to multiple schools through AACOMAS but get an offer for EDP if you application was sent in on the first day. If selected for EDP you must agree to NOT apply to any other school once ACCEPTED. In other words, withdraw your application from all other schools. I was selected to participate in TUCOM's EDP this summer. I couldn't request to be considered. I had to send in my application on on the very first day and then wait to see if TUCOM offered me the option. They did and I took it because it was my first choice school. I do not know if they required that I only apply to one school at first or not. It just so happened that I only applied to TUCOM and that may have been a part of the selection criteria but I don't know for sure.

As for now, I am the luckiest pre-med at my undergrad university. All of my classmates are stressed out and nervous about secondaries and interviews and I don't have to worry about it at all. I am spending my time concentrating on my classes and can actually work part time this year to save money for next year with out having to worry about getting straight A's. So if you are seriously considering EDP, I say GO FOR IT! I am so happy that I did and would recommend it to anyone.

Brenda
TUCOM, Class of 2007

If you are thinking about applying EDP you should consider the facts that are already here on SDN. Applying early to many DO schools can get very early interviews. In general, most osteopathic schools have very quick turnaround when it comes to notifying the interviewees. It sounds like you are not sure about EDP, it probably isn't for you. However, get your application in early and you could be accepted to a DO school by early October.

Just look at maysqrd. Already in for next year and now just has to worry about where to go (if multiple acceptances come in). In reality it's just as good as EDP without the committment to one particular school.