Can you apply for HPSP while in dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mangler

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If so, how is the process different than if you apply like most people the year before dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

I think the best chance for a 3 year award would be Army. I'm pretty sure the 3 year Navy scholarships are prioritized for the 4 year applicants who were recommended, but did not receive the scholarship due to quotas.
I think the AF even has a 2 year, but they are VERY limited, and the payback is still a 3 year minimum.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah I see so they're a lot harder to get.

Also, if I went to a 3 year dental school like UOP, would I only be allowed to apply for the 2 year AF scholarship?

Just want to chime in regarding the number of scholarships issue. When I discussed this with my old 3rd year partner, he being on a 3 year scholarship with the AF and I being on a 4 year with the Navy. He and another classmate corroborated that in fact there were almost THREE TIMES the number of 3 year AF scholarships over 4 year scholarships. Talk to a recruiter and get the facts, and do it ASAP.

Just want to chime in regarding the number of scholarships issue. When I discussed this with my old 3rd year partner, he being on a 3 year scholarship with the AF and I being on a 4 year with the Navy. He and another classmate corroborated that in fact there were almost THREE TIMES the number of 3 year AF scholarships over 4 year scholarships. Talk to a recruiter and get the facts, and do it ASAP.
It's because the AF has figured out that they can pay for just 3 years of school, but get a 4 year payback out of you by forcing you to do a GPR/AEGD. Sneaky.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 2 users
If I am not wrong, the number of 4 year AF is less than 20. I dont know how many 3 year scholarships there are, but that sounds about right.

It's because the AF has figured out that they can pay for just 3 years of school, but get a 4 year payback out of you by forcing you to do a GPR/AEGD. Sneaky.

Big Hoss
lol tell me about it. they told us it can't be done! That they can't force people to take on extra years of obligation. Uh huh...

lol tell me about it. they told us it can't be done! That they can't force people to take on extra years of obligation. Uh huh...
Its all semantics. Because the PGY-1 is considered a "neutral" year, they dont consider it a payback. Stinks for those in that situation.

Its all semantics. Because the PGY-1 is considered a "neutral" year, they dont consider it a payback. Stinks for those in that situation.
Oh yeah you're right. I hadn't considered that it technically isn't an extra year of payback haha.

Admittedly I was pretty displeased when I found the new language they used regarding AEGD acceptance in my contract. I wouldn't have even noticed if I didn't read the whole contract. I have come in terms with it those since this whole AEGD doesnt seem like a bad gig. Then again, I might just be going through the five stages of grief.

edit - I still think it's incredibly shady that this whole thing pretty much went under the radar for me. Was in the whole process of applying through navy and AF for a year, and didnt hear a word about it until I was about to sign the dotted line. But it can't be help since it was news to my recruiter too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users