1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

can you apply to too many schools?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by MIpharm, Jul 24, 2006.

1. MIpharm

MIpharm Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Is it bad if you apply to several schools? It makes sense that the more you can apply to, the better chance you have. But on pharmcas some charts lead you to beleive that those who apply to 5/6+ schools have less chance of getting accepted anywhere. Maybe this is because those people applying to several schools are weaker students? Can the schools you apply to see where else you are applying when they look over your application? I'm looking at applying to maybe 6 schools, good or bad?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Rxbound

Rxbound Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I applied to 8. Yes, I would consider myself a weaker applicant. However, I was rejected by five of the schools, asked to interview by three, and have been accepted to one. So, my advice is to find schools where your stats match up and apply to those.

4. ADN1226

ADN1226 Class of 2012!
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

Where did you apply to RxBound?

5. ageldred

ageldred Member
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    OOoo Pharmcas has charts? Where? I've been hunting all over their website...I must be blind.

6. ageldred

ageldred Member
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Oh I found it...wow that was not easy to get to.

7. Rxbound

Rxbound Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

UT-Austin, Kansas, Oklahoma, UMKC, Shenandoah, PBA, ETSU and Arkansas.
    Asked to interview by Shenandoah, ETSU, and Arkansas.

8. crossjb

crossjb Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

If you're a strong applicant, that might be 5 too many. If you're weak, that might be too little. It's all relevant.

9. UVaWahoo

UVaWahoo Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    i applied to 5, interviewed at 3, accepted at 2. Didn't get into auburn b/c i was missing several prereqs.

i was going to apply to several more schools, maybe 9 or 10, but then my PCATs came back and were good, so i cut the number down. i dont think applying to too many is a bad thing, but i just gets expensive :scared:

10. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Member
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I applied to one school and got it. I guess I just got lucky. I agree with UVaWahoo. There's nothing wrong with applying to a lot of school as long as you can afford it.

11. Seveneighty

Seveneighty ego sum venenum
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Trust me, too many is better than too few.. this coming from a guy who applied at only one school and is now hanging desperately on the waitlist.

12. MIpharm

MIpharm Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    does anyone know if the schools can tell how many schools you applied to when they look at your applications? or if they know where else you applied? i dont know that it would necessarily be bad if they do know, but maybe the schools wouldn't consider quite as serious. does anyone know if schools can tell how many other applications you have?

13. senzabee

senzabee Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Copied from the PharmCAS website:

SHARING OF ADMISSION DECISIONS

Beginning on June 1, 2007, PharmCAS institutions will receive reports regarding the number of offers of admission made and number of offers of admission accepted for those applicants the college or school shares with another PharmCAS institution. Your designated PharmCAS institutions will know how many offers of admission you have received and how many offers of admission you have accepted at other PharmCAS institutions. PharmCAS institutions will not know how many applications you have submitted. They will also not know whether you were denied admission to another pharmacy school or be informed of any other admission actions made by other PharmCAS institutions, except offers of admission made or accepted.

WAIT-LIST POLICY

PharmCAS institutions may continue to make offers of admission to wait-listed applicants after June 1, 2007. A college or school that has placed an applicant on a wait-list will not have access to that applicant’s admission status at other PharmCAS institutions. Wait-listed applicants should contact the appropriate school directly for specific information on that school’s wait-list policy.

...so they won't know until later on, and only if you were accepted to their school. Yikes, so I guess the schools will know if we choose another school over them, haha :p

14. kvl1027

kvl1027 Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I was just going to make acomment about that.
    I think there is a happy medium when it comes to how many applications. You want to have enough to give you better odds, but I think schools are looking for people who really want to attend their program over others. As soon as schools are able to see how many schools you apply to, they might feel that if you applied to 20+ schools, you dont really care where you go, you just want to get in somewhere.
    I think they look at your stats first of course, but if it was a tie between you, having applied to 20+ schools and them, having applied to 3 schools, they would choose the one that shows the most interest in attending their program.
    Anyhow, Good Luck, just make sure your scores are competitive and you dont have anythign to worry about.

15. MIpharm

MIpharm Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    yeah, thats exactly what i was worried about and why i posted this thread. i know my first choice (wayne state) sends out letters very last and is the most competititive - which sucks. so i have to hear from everyone else first before they tell me. I'm not gonna be applying to 20 schools, but i am going to have to apply to more than just wayne state. oh well - cant do anything about that now.

16. collinisem

collinisem Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    See, that's the thing, though. The schools will not see how many schools you APPLIED to, they will only see how many schools have offered you admission.

So if an applicant applies to 20 schools, the only way the admissions committee would know is if they were accepted to all 20 schools and all 20 schools participated in PharmCas. Now, what are the chances that an applicant gets accepted to that many pharmacy schools? And even if they do, they would more than likely have an incredible application profile, which would make applying to 20 schools a waste of time and money.

However, I do agree that schools want to see that an applicant is interested in attending THEIR pharmacy school. But, usually you can convey interest in a supplemental essay or interview.