Can you be a vet tech when on Social Security Disability Income

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cellowars

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm applying for SSDI because my disabilities affect how long I can tolerate a working environment, and I was wondering if it's possible to work 20hrs or less per week as a veterinary technician. I did a job shadow for a week a few years ago, and I was able to tolerate the environment just fine.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

I think the biggest challenge is 1) finding an employer willing to work with you and 2) keeping your income below SSDI income levels.

Good luck!

I volunteer(ed) at a shelter that has a couple of full-time techs that care for the shelter pets and a few part-time techs that only worked on days when they have clinic for public clients or when they need help supplementing the full-time techs. They actually have trouble filling those part-time positions because people will quit when they get a full-time job offer somewhere else or people take it as a second job and then quit because they took on too much. They would love to have someone who wants to work 15-20 hours/week. Whether or not it fits into your SSDI is obviously something else to look at, but the positions do exist out there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I volunteer(ed) at a shelter that has a couple of full-time techs that care for the shelter pets and a few part-time techs that only worked on days when they have clinic for public clients or when they need help supplementing the full-time techs. They actually have trouble filling those part-time positions because people will quit when they get a full-time job offer somewhere else or people take it as a second job and then quit because they took on too much. They would love to have someone who wants to work 15-20 hours/week. Whether or not it fits into your SSDI is obviously something else to look at, but the positions do exist out there.

Definitely. My local shelter is always looking for weekend staff to help with wellness clinics.

I feel like a lot of regular vet offices are closed Sundays and only open Saturday morning. They usually just have part-time kennel techs to care for the animals on those days.

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely. My local shelter is always looking for weekend staff to help with wellness clinics.

I feel like a lot of regular vet offices are closed Sundays and only open Saturday morning. They usually just have part-time kennel techs to care for the animals on those days.
Thank you!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I used to work the afternoon/evening shift as a tech, so from 3 to close (technically we closed at 7, but we were usually there until 7:30 or 8 finishing things up). I often worked closer to 30 hours a week there if I was there every day, but we had a lot of college students work that shift, so they might only work 3 or 4 days a week depending on their schedule. So it just depends on finding the right place that's willing to work with you, and not guilt you into taking on extra hours.