Can you be covered under your parents health insurance as a med student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dedikated2liftn

Bodybuilder
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, not sure if this is the right forum to ask this but gonna go ahead anyways. Let me begin by saying I graduated undergrad in 2006 and have been paying for my own insurance for the past two years through my proivder/company. Since I'll be on a much tighter budget for the next four years of my career, I was wondering if it's commonplace for medical students to be able to be covered under their parent's health insurance. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

usually your parents health insurance will cover a student till age 23 or 25 but then you are dropped no matter what, it depends on your age and policy.

Many policies will no longer allow you to be considered a dependent (under your parents) once you turn 25. So most med students, at some point, have to switch and pay for their own health insurance - often the best plans are affiliated with the school and thus are heavily discounted.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if it's commonplace for medical students to be able to be covered under their parent's health insurance. Thanks.

I don't know if it's commonplace to be covered by parental insurance, but I'll be covered until I'm done with my third year of medical school. Annoyingly, each semester I have to submit proof of coverage (filled out form, copy of coverage card, copy of benefits) so I can get back the already-paid $247/semester (minus a paperwork fee) I am required to submit twice a year. But it's worth it, as I can buy a lot of groceries with that money.

I'm covered by my Mom's insurance until I'm 25. As stated before, I just have to submit proof of enrollment.

I was this year, but it was a convenient situation of me having an August birthday and being 22 all school year (I'm off at 23) and my mother having dramatically better health insurance than the school supplied (government employee). The school supplies insurance and its deducted from your loans just like tuition if you choose to go that route.

Let me begin by saying I graduated undergrad in 2006 and have been paying for my own insurance for the past two years through my proivder/company.

Assuming you're still under the age you can be on your parents' plan, this will make is very difficult for you. Once you've left, coming back to a parent's plan gives the insurance company a prime opportunity to bump your premiums. This happened to a step-brother of mine.

Most health insurance covers full-time students; the age cut off ranges from 23-25 years of age. Finding your answer is simple. Just ask your parents to call their insurance company, ask their Human Resources representative at their place of employment, or look in their insurance manual for the age cut off.

More than likely, if your parents take you back onto their health insurance, especially if you are the only covered 'child,' then their premium will increase. You will need to submit proof of full-time student status to their insurance company. Coverage by your medical school is an option, but your parents probably have better insurance coverage- unless they have HMO.

I was covered until I turned 25 a few months ago.

your parents probably have better insurance coverage- unless they have HMO.

It depends on the HMO. My parents are in one, but I was allowed to get coverage as a guest in an " ouside service area" near my school. To do this you have to call and get the proper paperwork to fill out, specify a covered doctor in the new area, and you're good to go. And I can still see my regular doctor back home when I'm there.

It's 25 usually. I'm definitely taking advantage of the $225 less I'll be paying each month! :)

As others have said, it varies, usually 23 or 25.

However, realize that because of COBRA, as long as you (or your parents if youre lucky) are willing to pay, you'll still get coverage - you're just having to pay what your parents' employers pay on top of what your parents pay for their premiums...You can be COBRA'd indefinitely.

Wow, I'm glad I found this thread. I'll be covered until I'm 24 under my parent's plan.

I looked up some information on COBRA and it seems the gov't only mandates a minimum of 18 months of extended coverage (if I read the jargon correctly). Just enough time to be covered throughout my medical school career. http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/faqs/faq_consumer_cobra.HTMl

Do most plans offer the opportunity to be covered indefinitely?

I looked up some information on COBRA and it seems the gov't only mandates a minimum of 18 months of extended coverage (if I read the jargon correctly). Just enough time to be covered throughout my medical school career. http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/faqs/faq_consumer_cobra.HTMl

Do most plans offer the opportunity to be covered indefinitely?

The only way you can be covered indefinitely is if you have a handicapping condition that would allow you to be claimed indefinitely as a dependent by your parents.

I think the COBRA law mandates a maximum, not a minimum, of 18 months of coverage extension. The employer can charge a lot for providing this. When my sister graduated from college, she was told an HMO coverage extension would be over $1000/month!

After the age you can no longer be covered under your parent's insurance, many schools will require you to buy the school's insurance plan and you don't have a choice.

After the age you can no longer be covered under your parent's insurance, many schools will require you to buy the school's insurance plan and you don't have a choice.

Does anyone know if that's the policy at MCW?

Membership with AMSA offers some insurance by UnitedHealthcare. Just letting you all know so you can figure out if rates and terms are better through them or not. I think it's worth a look.

At MCW you must provide proof of insurance by either taking their policy (I think we still have 3 choices PPO, HMO, and a High Deductible) or a waiver stating you have coverage through a different health insurance carrier.
(I'm on the school's PPO if you have any Qs)