Can you be mellow in Anesthesia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

treasurefull2

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems like most folk in anesthesia are real Type-A personalities. So can one be a mellow and chill person and enjoy anesthesia?

Members don't see this ad.

i don't think anesthesiology "folk" are any more type-A than those in other specialties. i would have to guess that they are more laid back if anything. i consider myself pretty mellow, and i enjoy the specialty.

Agree with above.

The residents at my school seem to be pretty relaxed. Not so at your school, I take it?

Admittedly, on the other hand, some of the attendings...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hold on, though

You can definitely be mellow in anesthesia, but to be successful at it, you need to be somewhat neurotic and a bit of a perfectionist as well.

Hold on, though

You can definitely be mellow in anesthesia, but to be successful at it, you need to be somewhat neurotic and a bit of a perfectionist as well.

See, that's what I'm saying. The people in anesthesia can be mellow people IN GENERAL, but when it comes to the OR and work, I think that you inherently CANNOT be mellow. You're constantly checking vitals and worried about something going wrong. Like you say, you have to be somewhat neurotic and, hypervigilant all the time...

Of course you can be mellow - in fact, you SHOULD be. As in any other specialty there are all types, but the ones that are best at it never lose their cool (or at least don't show it on the outside). My favorite attendings are the ones who are most mellow and are unanimously considered to be the best - and i wouldn't describe them as "neurotic and hypervigilant" Not sure what you define as "Type A" but surgeons are WAY more "Type A" than anesthesiologists.

Type A personalities tend to have tunnel vision and be vigilant to a fault. We have to be focused yet adaptable, neurotic yet calm, all while remaining fairly omniscient. The ones who are successful seem to be able to do all this at the same time

See, that's what I'm saying. The people in anesthesia can be mellow people IN GENERAL, but when it comes to the OR and work, I think that you inherently CANNOT be mellow. You're constantly checking vitals and worried about something going wrong. Like you say, you have to be somewhat neurotic and, hypervigilant all the time...

there's a difference between worrying about something going wrong, and thinking about and having a plan if things go wrong, and feeling confident that you can handle it.

there's a difference between worrying about something going wrong, and thinking about and having a plan if things go wrong, and feeling confident that you can handle it.

Yeah, I guess that's really what it is. As a medical student on anesthesia rotation, I see the situation differently. I am aware of the many way things can go wrong, but I have not yet learned the MANY options available to fix the situation. I've noticed that the more I learn about how you can handle different problems, eg, using CPAP for hypoxia during one lung ventilation, or the many drugs at your disposal for BP, the more I feel comfortable in the OR...

The people that can have a patient that is having major difficulties but can handle it in such a calm demeanor such that most in the room have no idea that anything is even awry are the ones to learn from. Anybody can make something look hard. Only the most calm and self assured can consistently make the difficult look easy. There are those who can turn the small problems into a huge "hey look at me as I struggle with this" kind of deal. Then there are those who quietly, calmly, and effectively deal with the problems and no one else ever knew they existed. Simply, some have style and some don't. The rookie mistake is to see someone getting all hyped up about something and think that they are the experts. If you watch long enough, you will see that some are just a little more excitable than others and make mountains out of molehills. The ones actually in control are less exciting to watch for the uninitiated because they don't turn every event into a "show." But in the end, the ones you want taking care of you and teaching you are the ones who have the style and finesse to guide patients calmly through the treacherous waters that are sometimes encountered. Beware of those who would have you believe that there is ONLY one way to do something and it just so happens to be their way.

In summary, t's not about being "mellow". It's about knowing when to be mellow, and when not to be.

-copro

In summary, t's not about being "mellow". It's about knowing when to be mellow, and when not to be.

-copro

here is my take, mellow is good especially in an emergency situation...

Thinking quickly, Rapid assesment of the situation, and Absorbing all the clinical sx/sx without "emotional influences" i.e. anger, fear, anxiety (a little is good though), etc... Mellow to me doesn't mean sitting back and drinking coffee while the patient is crashing.....but having a calm mind in the middle of the storm... I meditate everyday. It really helps with clearing my mind and dissociating it from emotional factors especially during stressful situations. Helps me think quicker and clearer.

So mellow is good for anesthesia! Depending on how you define being mellow!:thumbup:

File

Members don't see this ad :)
Gern Blasten's comments are right on not only for anesthesia but also for professional work in general. Quiet confidence is the key, and the best teachers are those who are don't waste energy on unnecessary activity - but who are always watching and quietly monitoring the situation.

I also agree that sometimes people confuse busy drama with 'hard work,' and the quiet person as the 'clueless' one when actually it is often the other way around. The anesthesiologists I know are mostly super mellow but also very sharp.

I don't know about the guy (is that David Hasselhof?) but the puppies are pretty darn cute.

I have to echo the comments about the calm anesthesiology attendings. It's the calm, collected attendings that I have come to respect and trust the most. Now of course there is a fine line between not caring and being calm. But some attendings just get it-- they are calm even when S$Q%T is going down because they know how to handle it and delegate and take care of the patient the best they can. They don't spend precious energy berating you because your shoulder roll is taped wrong or your ETT tape is .5 cm too long. They help you focus on the big picture and make it a good experience.

met quite a few "cool" calm collected attendings on my interview and away rotation trail.... will never forget them and the things they taught me.

met quite a few "cool" calm collected attendings on my interview and away rotation trail.... will never forget them and the things they taught me.
I remember a hot conversation with copro - and I can say that your attitude is great. Yes, we have to learn from everybody and to respect the one that are helping us. As u know I am against CRNA-s but I had one that was great - I learned a lot of small deatails missed in the residency...I do believe that we shouldn't be mellow - we should be tough. Be mellow and let others get our field. geeeeeeeeez....

I remember a hot conversation with copro...

That's because since you came to this forum you have continually misrepresented who you really are.

-copro

That's because since you came to this forum you have continually misrepresented who you really are.

-copro
Coprolalala ..:laugh: u're a nice lady! take care there and finish the residency (maybe...).