Can you be pregnant during all 4 years of residency if you want lots of kids but bio clock?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

streampaw

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering, what is the maximum number of pregnancies one can legitimately handle, from 1-4, while graduating residency on time? Assuming that the residency is not a surgical specialty, and assuming the person can afford 4 kids.

Members don't see this ad.

e5NC1fe.jpg

Reactions: 27 users
roflcopter.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
5.3333 babies.

I am wondering, what is the maximum number of pregnancies one can legitimately handle, from 1-4, while graduating residency on time? Assuming that the residency is not a surgical specialty, and assuming the person can afford 4 kids.

No. Do the world a favor. Don't reproduce..

Reactions: 2 users
Depends on your future lawyer husband. Probably can't pay off your loans in 2 years though if you do get pregnant. Unless you get one of those full tuition scholarships which you claim are easy to get

Reactions: 1 users
number of babies you can have in residency = (number of threads you have made - your age)/(number of kids you can afford)

But seriously, this is what you consider "good med related questions" and planning? Why does this matter to you when it is 8 years away? If you can't have 4 kids, is medicine out of the question?

But if you really must know, the answer to my equation is 2. Both of my cousins had 2 kids during their residencies, so I know that can be done. I'm sure others have anecdotal evidence as well.

Depends on your future lawyer husband. Probably can't pay off your loans in 2 years though if you do get pregnant. Unless you get one of those full tuition scholarships which you claim are easy to get
If I do MD/PhD then that adds on an extra four years to my bio clock, meaning I would have to get pregnant during residency. And I want my 4 kids to each be a year apart from one another, so just wondering if 4 pregnancies during residency is possible.

why don't you just have quadruplets at once?

Reactions: 9 users
why don't you just have quadruplets at once?
Because if she spaces them out she can use each individual child during the college application process to solicit more financial aid from the schools. "Child #1 got $50,000. You better at least say a full ride for #3"

Bet your next thread is gonna be if it's possible to get your four children on welfare so you can save some money there too

number of babies you can have in residency = (number of threads you have made - your age)/(number of kids you can afford)

But seriously, this is what you consider "good med related questions" and planning? Why does this matter to you when it is 8 years away? If you can't have 4 kids, is medicine out of the question?

But if you really must know, the answer to my equation is 2. Both of my cousins had 2 kids during their residencies, so I know that can be done. I'm sure others have anecdotal evidence as well.
Hmm. I guess youre right since residency can be stressful at times. It might be a better idea to have 2 kids during my phd years, and 2 kids during residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
But, can you raise two kids for a couple years on a 20k mdphd stipend?

Hmm. I guess youre right since residency can be stressful at times. It might be a better idea to have 2 kids during my phd years, and 2 kids during residency.

OP do you remember posting this "And I honestly can't even function if I get anything less than an 8 hours sleep, preferably 9 hour. If I don't get enough sleep, I need to read the textbook 5-6 times before actually understanding the first paragraph (not kidding). I am not sure if I have a learning disorder or anything, never been diagnosed, but I just know that if I get less than 8-9 hours of sleep, my grades slip, I have a hard time focusing, and an extremely hard time retaining information. Maybe I have a learning disorder? I am not sure, because if I get the full sleep, then I am all good"

Residency + 4 kids seems like it could be a disaster

OP do you remember posting this "And I honestly can't even function if I get anything less than an 8 hours sleep, preferably 9 hour. If I don't get enough sleep, I need to read the textbook 5-6 times before actually understanding the first paragraph (not kidding). I am not sure if I have a learning disorder or anything, never been diagnosed, but I just know that if I get less than 8-9 hours of sleep, my grades slip, I have a hard time focusing, and an extremely hard time retaining information. Maybe I have a learning disorder? I am not sure, because if I get the full sleep, then I am all good"

Residency + 4 kids seems like it could be a disaster
It's okay if the kids keep me up. I will sacrifice anything for my future children. :) But I need to make at least 180k to have 4 kids, so that they live comfortably and get college paid for.

Guys, we are witnessing the most prolific troll of our time... Bask in its glory!

Reactions: 10 users
If I do MD/PhD then that adds on an extra four years to my bio clock, meaning I would have to get pregnant during residency. And I want my 4 kids to each be a year apart from one another, so just wondering if 4 pregnancies during residency is possible.

God you're so dense. I was being sarcastic

I think your entire personality/aspirations would make for a great medical school application. Give the ADCOMs something to laugh about. Good luck

Do you think streampaw is actually a girl, or a dude pretending to be a girl? My money is on the latter. For some reason I have a hard time imagining a girl getting enjoyment out of trolling on sdn.

I think your entire personality/aspirations would make for a great medical school application. Give the ADCOMs something to laugh about. Good luck

I'm wondering how any interview would go....

I'm wondering how any interview would go....
I don't think there would be any interviews... If streampaw is for real, she would be too narcissistic to even feign presenting herself as a likable person. Can you imagine the LORs?

I am actually not a troll, and actually a female. I dont seewhy you all think I am a troll. I want to be a rich person and have 4 perfect rich kids. What is so bad about this? Family is the most important to me, and I will do everything in my power to give my kids a dream life.

I don't think there would be any interviews... If streampaw is for real, she would be too narcissistic to even feign presenting herself as a likable person. Can you imagine the LORs?

From what I read on here, she sounds like my one friend who has an entitlement complex, who's parents give her whatever she wants.
She sounds like an immature, spoiled brat (harsh, but true, being 18 explains A LOT, though).

But still, saying there was an interview,

Interviewer: "Why Harvard?"
Streampaw: "Well, I really don't want any debt. I need to be able to afford to fly back to Oregon every other week to see my boyfriend. I need a full ride too, so I can leverage OHSU into giving me one as well."

Yeah, uhhh.

yes

I am actually not a troll, and actually a female. I dont seewhy you all think I am a troll. I want to be a rich person and have 4 perfect rich kids. What is so bad about this? Family is the most important to me, and I will do everything in my power to give my kids a dream life.

Perfect, rich kids? Nobody is perfect, btw. There is nothing wrong with making your children work for what they have. Handing them everything creates a monster all on its own. There's nothing wrong with wanting a family, just the way you go about things gives you the troll persona.

Odi et amo...

If you are a troll, I admire your work and love you. If not, you are utterly the most despicable person that I have ever encountered.

Perfect, rich kids? Nobody is perfect, btw. There is nothing wrong with making your children work for what they have. Handing them everything creates a monster all on its own. There's nothing wrong with wanting a family, just the way you go about things gives you the troll persona.
Eh, I suppose I am a narcissist, but I docare about family. I just want the best of the best for my children, and dont want them to be isolated and hopeless like I was.

Odi et amo...

If you are a troll, I admire your work and love you. If not, you are utterly the most despicable person that I have ever encountered.
It is despicable to care about family more than career? More than other people who are not a part of your family? How dispicable. Lol.

Look. If you're truly not a troll, good for you. You have some idea what you want to do. Some aspects of it may be far fetched, but you have a dream, and a goal, and that is what matters. If you want to be rich, that's great. I like money. Lots of people like money. But don't join the field solely to get money. You aren't guaranteed to make it big. You may never get to medical school. If you want your kids to have a great life, that's fine too. There's nothing wrong with that. But these kids you want to have will be living breathing human beings with their own thoughts and emotions. Perhaps your future kids will not want that path. You don't necessarily know how they will turn out. Perhaps you should just take it slow. While it's nice to have a plan, some things you truly need to take day by day.

OP, you have a lot of growing up to do.

It is despicable to care about family more than career? More than other people who are not a part of your family? How dispicable. Lol.
You don't HAVE a family yet. And since you don't seem to care about medicine for its own sake, you really make no sense to me...medicine is HARDLY known as a family-friendly career path.

You don't HAVE a family yet. And since you don't seem to care about medicine for its own sake, you really make no sense to me...medicine is HARDLY known as a family-friendly career path.
Doctors can generally choose how many hours to work a week. Especially derms. From what I read on other sdn posts. I will not settle for any boring sorting-papers job that makes 60k a year. I need at least 180k a year for my kids to get what they want.

I have also read posts on momMD, where mothers who are doctors balance family and work.

Eh, I suppose I am a narcissist, but I docare about family. I just want the best of the best for my children, and dont want them to be isolated and hopeless like I was.

You graduated high school at what, 15? You are by no means hopeless, even if that's how you felt. Isolation is hard, but my parents gave me nothing and still don't and I have an immense about of debt from Penn State, but I think all of that matured me a lot, never set me back. I am a huge realist though.

Doctors can generally choose how many hours to work a week. Especially derms. From what I read on other sdn posts. I will not settle for any boring sorting-papers job that makes 60k a year. I need at least 180k a year for my kids to get what they want.

What do your hypothetical kids want?

The kids you don't yet have want that much? That statement is kind of weird. Almost like you have child sized dolls that you talk to and push around in strollers.

It's post like this that make it seem like you have very superficial reasons for wanting to go into medicine and make me wonder why you want to become a physician. Your desire to provide your kids with a comfortable life is great (I think most people hope for that if they want kids), but that reason isn't going to get you into med school.

The kids you don't yet have want that much? That statement is kind of weird. Almost like you have child sized dolls that you talk to and push around in strollers.
In all fairness some people legitimately do this..

Why is there an illusion that making 60k a year means sorting papers?

Why is there an illusion that making 60k a year means sorting papers?
I think in this situation she's using sorting papers to describe performing mundane tasks, not specifically sorting papers

I think in this situation she's using sorting papers to describe performing mundane tasks, not specifically sorting papers

Ahh.
Well, everyone has a different definition of a mundane task, to each his own.
Try being a pharmacy tech. Counting pills is a VERY mundane task.

Ahh.
Well, everyone has a different definition of a mundane task, to each his own.
Try being a pharmacy tech. Counting pills is a VERY mundane task.
I think they fail to understand the impact of such tasks though. Sure, everyone wants to be the master doctor who cures everyone and has a witty catchphrase and all that jazz, but you aren't always going to be that doc. Chances are, you're rarely if ever going to be that doc. But that doesn't mean filing paperwork and counting pills isn't just as important. Heck, counting pills can be the difference between life or death (in certain situations)

Status
Not open for further replies.