Can you be pregnant during all 4 years of residency if you want lots of kids but bio clock?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would much rather hang out here than sit around in the panic thread anxiously waiting.

Agreed. Hanging out in the panic thread sucks. :punch::rage::hurting:

Members don't see this ad.

Tumblr_inline_mm163uHay91qz4rgp.gif

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
OP's boyfriend approves. Speaking of which, if OP doesn't get into Harvard because of the school's stupidity, her boyfriend will intervene and ensure Harvard accepts OP. Remember, her boyfriend will be one of the nation's best lawyers after law school. Just thinking about that gives me nightmares.

Plus, he will definitely love kids (4 or 100). Who doesn't?

wtf is with your sig

This thread has kept my mind off the application process for the longest period of time in 3 months! Keep the questions coming, OP. I need this.

If I do MD/PhD then that adds on an extra four years to my bio clock, meaning I would have to get pregnant during residency. And I want my 4 kids to each be a year apart from one another, so just wondering if 4 pregnancies during residency is possible.
What are you going to research that is relevant to dermatology? You're almost certainly doing this for money, so why waste time on the PhD? You'll make more money per year as a dermatologist than you would gain from the stipend and free tuition for the PhD per year. Also, you will likely feel terrible during residency without being pregnant due to long and odd hours. Working like you will have to during residency will be hard enough having one child during that period, I understand concerns over you biological clock (so 1-2 is understandably necessary), but don't understand why you would want to go for 3-4 during residency. Two seems good.
Looking at some of the other posts you've made, it seems like you're much more interested in the idea of being a dermatologist than actually being one (well, I'm sure you actually want the income and short hours). I hope you start focusing on helping people through medicine rather than making a detailed 10+ year plan for your life. I'm quite certain adcoms will see your lack of commitment to medicine, and if they do, that will spoil all these plans you're trying to make.

Seriously you guys, I just dont get it why you think I am a troll. I know so much about the medical school process. I know I have weird questions, perhaps because of my arrogance and selfishness towards society, but they are nontheless legitimate questions. Maybe they are questions that people never asked before, but they are still interesting questions about which I am curious.
This post convinced me of steampaw's trollish nature.

Do I need to create another username to post any other questions I may have, so that you guys take it seriously? I am serious about all of my questions, please do your best to answer accordingly instead of pointing and saying "troll". That is not a good answer for hypothetical questions.
Likely after the first question under this hypothetical new user name and certainly after the second, we would all know it was you. That would be futile unless you mature to a level that closer to that of an actual, serious pre-med.

You had to lie/exaggerate to get hired at a Baskin-Robbins?

Seriously, if there was any doubt before that this person was pulling our legs, this post put an end to that.
The fact that she had a job tipped me off. No way she's that conceited AND has actually had a job.

No, you guys, I was just considering dentistry for a moment, but then decided that working on mouths is just gross. I would rather do medicine and talk to patients. I am NOT giving up on MD/PhD. To all of you who say that MD/PhD is a worse route in terms of money rather than the regular MD route, think of it this way: If I do MD, I take out 40k a year for tuition, and 18k a year living expenses, for 4 years. That's about 232k total. Let's say it's 10% interest every year during residency, and let's say I pay back about 15k per year during residency. Year 1: 232*1.1-15=240k. Year 2: 240*1.1-15=249.11k. Year 3: 249.11*1.1-15=274k (!!!!!!) Year 4: 274*1.1-15=286.4k. Come on, that's more than I started with, even while paying 15k per year on it during residency! So, let's say I don't get into derm. Let's say I am just not competitive enough, and get into some lower paying specialty, such as psych or pm&r. 200k per year. Minus 40% taxes=120k per year (really low). 40k per year on living expenses with children. =80k per year for loan repayment. So, year 1 after residency: 286.4-80=206.4 left. times that by 1.1 (10% interest)=227k. Year 2 after residency: subtract 80k from 227k. 147k left to pay back. times by 1.1=161.7. Year 3 after residency: 161.7-80=81k to pay back. times that by 1.1=89.87 k to pay back. and let's say I pay it back after 4th year after residency. that's 4 years after residency.

Same timeline as if I would spend those 4 years getting the pHD! EXCEPT: Here's the catch. With the PhD, I'd have a higher chance of matching into dermatology, my dream, instead of some low paying specialty. BUT, if I match into low paying specialty, oh well, at least later on in life I'll have that PhD if I ever want to switch into research or something academic or whatever.

This is my logic.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright you guys, you know what? I have had enough of this. How do I freeze my account and delete all of my posts? All of this bullying is enough. I will pursue MD/phd so I can get a full ride to med school, then pursue dermatology so that I can be working part time and making 200k from working part time. This is my plan. Now, I will go make myself competitive for MD/pHd programs, and then when I actually get into either MD/PhD program, or harvard, or a regular med school on a full tuition scholarship, then you will all be jealous of me.

I'm sure none of us will be jealous of you since, if you're not a troll, your personality is terrible. Also, the likelihood of you achieving all of your goals is very close to zero. The carrot of 300k a year will not be enough to get you through med school, a PhD will will likely take you over 5 years since you're not passionate about research, and a residency of 3 or more years. Whereas those of us who are passionate about helping others and medicine will see us through the rough years ahead.

Are you sure about this? I thought obama care means doctors will get paid more. Puh lease, tell me where I am wrong on this. Everyone will have to pay for insurance.
Wow, could you say, "I'M A TROLL," anymore clearly?

Honest to god question: Have you talked to your boyfriend about any of this? Does he know about your four kids and Harvard future?

If her boyfriend hears about this, she'll have something in common with organic chemistry classes.

No, you guys, I was just considering dentistry for a moment, but then decided that working on mouths is just gross. I would rather do medicine and talk to patients.

If you think mouths are gross, just wait until you get a gander at most skin infections. I've had ring worm twice. Not pretty.

Please, tell me how this is hysterics? This is logic in its finest form.

No it's logic if it was put in a shredder, pooped on by elephants, and twerked on by Miley.

No, you guys, I was just considering dentistry for a moment, but then decided that working on mouths is just gross. I would rather do medicine and talk to patients. I am NOT giving up on MD/PhD. To all of you who say that MD/PhD is a worse route in terms of money rather than the regular MD route, think of it this way: If I do MD, I take out 40k a year for tuition, and 18k a year living expenses, for 4 years. That's about 232k total. Let's say it's 10% interest every year during residency, and let's say I pay back about 15k per year during residency. Year 1: 232*1.1-15=240k. Year 2: 240*1.1-15=249.11k. Year 3: 249.11*1.1-15=274k (!!!!!!) Year 4: 274*1.1-15=286.4k. Come on, that's more than I started with, even while paying 15k per year on it during residency! So, let's say I don't get into derm. Let's say I am just not competitive enough, and get into some lower paying specialty, such as psych or pm&r. 200k per year. Minus 40% taxes=120k per year (really low). 40k per year on living expenses with children. =80k per year for loan repayment. So, year 1 after residency: 286.4-80=206.4 left. times that by 1.1 (10% interest)=227k. Year 2 after residency: subtract 80k from 227k. 147k left to pay back. times by 1.1=161.7. Year 3 after residency: 161.7-80=81k to pay back. times that by 1.1=89.87 k to pay back. and let's say I pay it back after 4th year after residency. that's 4 years after residency.

Same timeline as if I would spend those 4 years getting the pHD! EXCEPT: Here's the catch. With the PhD, I'd have a higher chance of matching into dermatology, my dream, instead of some low paying specialty. BUT, if I match into low paying specialty, oh well, at least later on in life I'll have that PhD if I ever want to switch into research or something academic or whatever.

This is my logic.

Okay, like I said earlier, loan rates are not at 10% so stop using that in your weird hypothetical. Do you realize that by doing a PhD and entering the work force 4 or so years later, you are missing out on 200k (maybe more) per year in attending income? Take out taxes and that's almost 500k that you are missing out on by doing a PhD.

Okay, like I said earlier, loan rates are not at 10% so stop using that in your weird hypothetical. Do you realize that by doing a PhD and entering the work force 4 or so years later, you are missing out on 200k (maybe more) per year in attending income? Take out taxes and that's almost 500k that you are missing out on by doing a PhD.
Graduate plus loans are at like 12%. It will take 4 years to pay off that debt.Might as well get a phd instead.

We don't even know if OP is smart enough to handle a phd. Shouldn't she be out proving herself instead of talking about stuff that'll happen when she grows up. 18 years is not the time for this stuff. If you live your life with hypotheticals, you'll miss out on the present. What about your friends, family, enjoying life? Work hard to prove you deserve to match derm.

Cause right now, I can't name one reason for you to ever get that. No evidence of outstanding grades, high interest in a service professions where you are helping and thinking of others, no research, etc. just a maze of pipe dreams.

Actually, after looking at OP's history, I don't think she is a troll. Her initial questions were very standard for a premed. It is just that after not getting the answers she wanted and showing less and less social tact she became defensive and totally honest since there is no more face to lose, so to speak. It's just way too elaborate and time consuming for trolling.

From bits and pieces you have given us to chew on, I think that you need to work on your social skills, OP. All of us to some degree have self-serving motives. Most people, however, even in you age group are better able to interact with others without appearing so callous and condescending. Maybe it's your background and the family dynamic or moving to the US. Maybe there are other medical reasons. Your inability to consider what other people are saying or reply in a nicer manner show how sheltered you are. You chose to go to college at the age of 15 while living at home. I can imagine how that may have led you to neglect developing social skills which usually happens at that age. My advice is to get out of your comfort zone and live in a present moment. Meet new people. Learn to like people and try to understand them. This will make you a more successful at your career and more importantly more likable and overall happier person. Okay, enough with the amateur psychoanalysis.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Graduate plus loans are at like 12%. It will take 4 years to pay off that debt.Might as well get a phd instead.

Every post you make on SDN from here on out equals an extra $10K in debt for you. Every new thread you start equals $100K in debt. Be smart and stop posting. You don't want debt now, do you?

No, you guys, I was just considering dentistry for a moment, but then decided that working on mouths is just gross.
You don't want to work on mouths because they're gross, but you want to devote the rest of your life to pimples and rashes? Alright, OP...

We don't even know if OP is smart enough to handle a phd. Shouldn't she be out proving herself instead of talking about stuff that'll happen when she grows up. 18 years is not the time for this stuff. If you live your life with hypotheticals, you'll miss out on the present. What about your friends, family, enjoying life? Work hard to prove you deserve to match derm.

Cause right now, I can't name one reason for you to ever get that. No evidence of outstanding grades, high interest in a service professions where you are helping and thinking of others, no research, etc. just a maze of pipe dreams.

Yeah I was considering pointing this out. Considering what's been demonstrated ITT and that OP doesn't want to work hard even in residency, I don't see OP having the horsepower or drive to even get into med school, let alone get through a PhD and achieve anywhere near the level required to match derm.

Yeah I was considering pointing this out. Considering what's been demonstrated ITT and that OP doesn't want to work hard even in residency, I don't see OP having the horsepower or drive to even get into med school, let alone get through a PhD and achieve anywhere near the level required to match derm.

But OP will breeze through Harvard and derm residency without any work because she has her lawyer boyfriend on her side.

You don't want to work on mouths because they're gross, but you want to devote the rest of your life to pimples and rashes? Alright, OP...
Hey, I have an uncurable skin condition, and I want to make sure that thosr who are suffering from skin conditions are able a way to minimize their appearance. Skin conditions are in no way gross.

Hey, I have an uncurable skin condition, and I want to make sure that thosr who are suffering from skin conditions are able a way to minimize their appearance. Skin conditions are in no way gross.

:spitoutpacifier: Well, this took a new turn.

I thought you were incapable of feeling empathy for people who were not related to you?

Btw, you can PM me if you need someone to look over your personal statement. It's never to early for the first draft. I am your guy.

Actually, after looking at OP's history, I don't think she is a troll. Her initial questions were very standard for a premed. It is just that after not getting the answers she wanted and showing less and less social tact she became defensive and totally honest since there is no more face to lose, so to speak. It's just way too elaborate and time consuming for trolling.

From bits and pieces you have given us to chew on, I think that you need to work on your social skills, OP. All of us to some degree have self-serving motives. Most people, however, even in you age group are better able to interact with others without appearing so callous and condescending. Maybe it's your background and the family dynamic or moving to the US. Maybe there are other medical reasons. Your inability to consider what other people are saying or reply in a nicer manner show how sheltered you are. You chose to go to college at the age of 15 while living at home. I can imagine how that may have led you to neglect developing social skills which usually happens at that age. My advice is to get out of your comfort zone and live in a present moment. Meet new people. Learn to like people and try to understand them. This will make you a more successful at your career and more importantly more likable and overall happier person. Okay, enough with the amateur psychoanalysis.

Again, either OP is a pretty messed up person, or a complete troll. I honestly hope that this is the most elaborate troll to ever grace SDN, rather than perhaps the most neurotic and morally bankrupt person to ever scourge SDN.

What if OP is really an MD/PhD student with an incurable skin condition that is matching into dermatology and is now married to her lawyer husband that wants to have four children whom she visits in Oregon every other week and started dating when she went to community college at the age of 15 before transferring to 4 year university at the age of 17 that just decided to troll all of us?

Status
Not open for further replies.